Deep Cleaning Records With Steam?

It has happened again. Major tweak and record provider has available a steam cleaner made especially for records. Anybody try steam for cleaning lp’s? What were your results? Since a unit can be had for about $20 at Target, 15% of what the tweak provider is charging, is it worth a try?.
tiger
How hard does one press down with the RCM brush? I have a VPI 16.5 and the bristles feel rather stiff to me and I'm afraid of damagine the vinyl.

Stltrains mentions in his video that he also moves it back and forth... is this in the direction of outside to label or always going with the grooves?
Hey Madfloyd and welcome to steam cleaning your lps. The brush you are talking about is the nylon bristled housed in the black holder i am thinking. Yes i move it from side to side as you mention and use just enough force to get into the grooves, it will absolutely not do any harm to your lps. I use three of those brushes. I like using them instead of others out available. They do a better job IMO. Guys and Gals that vinyl is tough and hard to harm. If you are feeling a little nervous start with a few lps that are not in good standing. I have not harmed a single lp yet and thats a lot of lps cleaned.
Thanks, picked up my steam cleaner today from Walgreens ($13 !!!) and am about to dishwash the attachment that you (Stltrains) used in the video... and basically mimic the procedure best I can.

Looking forward to trying this - I'll report in.... :-)
I have steam cleaned thousands of LPs and I don't feel that I yet understand "everything" regarding steam cleaning. Yes, I believe I possess a understanding of the process and I feel I should contribute that knowledge to the discussion. Steam cleaning a dozen recordings is a good thing but doesn't qualify for the gold. Learning to steam clean and living the life are two worlds. This is only to suggest caution in one's judgements that I as a decade + person in steam cleaning refrain from. But I will stand on these ideas : Do I believe that this method is revolutionary ? Yes, I do. And have I found any other lo-cost method that excells beyond the performace of steam ? Not yet but I'm always looking. Also, I am awaire of the growing numbers of folks that no longer feel a need to purchase RCM's.

What I have observed is that so many vary from the suggested guidelines now buried in this thread one can never be certian of repeatable results. The important reminders are keep to the least number of attachments, use purified & demineralized water as can be purchased and steam, scrub(w/record cleaning fluids) , steam and re-steam to remove any cleaning fluids left behind. Then dry. Should you have a RCM - USE IT, and don't forget to dry the LPs.As long as you do a final steam what cleaning fluid you choose is not as big a deal as if you use one or just steam.

After 4+ decades as a Audio-Head I suggest: Be careful how you spend your money. There are so many that want your $$$ and you can do better without many of them. Remember, there is no one looking over their shoulders ... All the best.