Devore Gibbon 3XLs: anyone have these?

I am interested in getting owners' opinion about this new monitor from Devore. How would you describe them sonically? What amplification and cabling are you using with them? How large or small a room are you using them in? Do they need a subwoofer? Finally, what type of music do you think they are best suited for. Thx very much in advance.
cmalak

Showing 2 responses by bside123

I have a pair of the Gibbon 3 speakers that are the predecessors to the 3XL. These are front ported speakers, which may have been either a special order or a limited production. They were again upgraded by DeVore in August of 2006. They sound fantastic. In addition to being extremely balanced, they are dynamic, sparkly and very full sounding... especially for their size.

I heard the later generation of the Gibbon 3s while in NYC. Great speakers! They are definitely keepers; I wouldn't think of getting rid of them, so there's testimony for you. I've listened to them in both small rooms as well as in larger rooms with a sub.

Taking proper care for placement with these speakers really pays off. I found when I get the speaker placement just right with these DeVore monitors, they simply disappear with a generous sweet spot. They are easy to drive, as well as they do sound better with some high current power.

I'm not sure if my speakers are the same animal as the 3XL, but this is my experience with the DeVore Gibbon 3 speakers. So, I can recommend them because I have a pair.
In addition to the DeVore Gibbon IIIs, I also have a set of Spendor S-20 speakers that are a similar profile - two way design both with 1" tweeters, and the Spendor mid-bass woofers are a little bit larger than the DeVores. The DeVore speakers are ported; the Spendors are completely enclosed. These two sets of speakers have VERY different flavors. The Spendors are "typically" British. They are very smooth, even paced and rather laid back compared to the DeVore speakers. However, IMHO, the DeVore speakers excel this particular model of Spendor monitors in every way. The DeVores "come alive." In addition to being sooth, they are dynamic and excited. The "organic & human" qualities of vocals and instrumentation are very present with the DeVores. The DeVore speakers are more transparent than the S-20 Spendor speakers. That being said, the Spendors are no slouches, but they have a very distinct sound. I would gather that anyone whose spent time with this type of British speaker would know exactly what I mean. Good luck!