Difference between Pass Labs XA160.5 an X600.5?

Hi all,

I currently own a set of Parasound JC-1's to drive Dynaudio Confidence C4's. Although they match very well, I currently look for ´the next step`. Based on several reviews I read, Pass Labs seems to be a very good substitute for the JC-1's. I doubt however if the XA160.5 are powerfull enough. Why? Today I integrated my Velodyne DD-18 with the C4's and I heard the soundstage changing when I but my Velodyne DD-18 subwoofer on/off (at a crossover frequency of 50Hz). Apparently my 800W RMS JC-1 (into 4 Ohm) can't drive the C4's full range?!? The price difference between the XA160.5/XA200.5 and X600.5/X1000.5 is however significantly (i.e the price of a XP-20 I intend to buy). X600.5 is class A upto 80W (so seems are safer alternative than the XA160.5).

I will try to listen to both amplifiers on short time notice here in the Netherlands, but has anyone already heard both these amps and if so, what are the difference?

Thanks!
jean_sibelius

Showing 3 responses by peterayer

Great question for Pass Labs or Reno HiFi. You should try contacting them directly.

I have the XA160.5 driving the Magico Mini 2 (4ohm, 86dB). It is a very difficult load but my 160.5 seem to be more than powerful enough. My room is only 16' X 15' X 7.5'. The needle never moves indicating that it does not leave Class A. It actually did move once, slightly, during the Sheffield Drum Track LP at full volume. I have heard the the 600.5 but not in my system. They, too, are very powerful. I think it will come down to whether or not you want to remain in Class A. I don't think either option will run out of power unless your room is huge and you listen extremely loudly.

I don't know how the subs would effect things. I would expect the soundstage information to change with the subs on, but are you sure that that fact alone indicates that you don't have enough power. You should be hearing more low level room cues with the subs which would change the perception of the soundstage.
Gary, That will be a most interesting comparison and I look forward to your report. May I ask what is in the rest of the system?
Gary, Thanks for the update. Are you keeping either amp for your system and
may I ask which speakers and pre amp you use? I had an XP-30 in my system
for a week with the XA160.5 and XONO and really liked this new preamp.