Do I need a sub woofer to match my ATC SCM11s

Hi,
I love my speakers (ATC SCM 11s), but am wondering if adding a sub woofer would better my experience? The speakers are on stands being driven by a Hegel H160. Any suggestions/tips to further enhance my system would be greatly appreciated. 

jeres8860

Showing 10 responses by jeres8860

Thanks for the suggestion. Has to be that big and expensive? Does it make more sense to sell the ATCs and get floor standing speakers? Any suggestions of good speakers that work well with the Hegel H160? I'm look for a wider and deeper soundstage. Right now it sounds too thin to me, if that makes sense?  I'm open to either solution. 

Fair enough. I think given the choice of adding a sub or replacing my speakers with floor standers, I'm inclined to lean towards adding a sub. after an  exhaustive search for speaker stands, I found a really nice match that really enhances the look of the speakers and I paid about a grand for them, so my preference is to keep them (please see for picture of my speakers and their stands). The enjoyment of sound is the most important quality and if it makes sense to get floor standers, then I'll make that switch. All things being equal, what is the smart choice here?

http://pinknoise.be/enceintes/atc/atc-scm11/

why can't there be a right answer?  all joking aside, that's my fear with the sub: I'll never get it right and I will just add another piece that won't provide that ultimate solution that I seek. I don't want to find myself further invested in this current setup and unsatisfied.
Hi Itzhak1969, that's my fear exactly. I am using my stock power cable and I'm currently arranging to have it upgraded. how much of a difference can that make?

Hi,

Thanks so much for all the help and suggestions. After thinking about it more, I'm definitely keep the ATCs, like mapman mentioned, the build quality of these speakers are excellent and aside from sounding somewhat thin, I think it's probably a good idea to try and improve upon them instead of starting fresh. I'm going to look into sub woofer options. The array system sounds awesome, but sadly it won't work for my space. I'll look seriously at the E110. Are there any other good subs that would integrate well with the ATCs?

With regards to cables, I'm using Kimber PBJs for my RCAs and Kimber 8TCs for my speaker cable. I'm really unsure how much of a difference these play, but mind as well have decent cable as it's not something that I'll replace too often.

Can you guys recommend a reasonably priced power cable for my Hegel H160 Integrated amp?

Thanks again!

Thanks! I was hoping to spend a little less than ATC's entry sub. I'm going to a Rel dealer after work to have a listen. Anyone have any experience with them? Seems like their emphasis is on music and not home theater.
Hi, 

I went to the local Rel dealer and had a listen and it sounded great, was within my budget and like jl35 mentioned, they're not too big. so I went with the t/7i. I wasn't familiar with Rel prior to this endeavor, but the more I learned about them, the more I liked, especially their emphasis on use with hifi. 

Thanks so much to everyone here for all the help, much appreciated! 
Thanks so much Tim! This is super helpful. Given my space, I'm not sure I can achieve all of this, but will definitely try and use as much of your info as possible. The Rel is supposed to come in this week, can't wait to start experimenting. Thanks again! 

So I've had my sub set up for a week now and I'm loving the addition to my system. I was at a crossroads, in that, do I reverse course and sell my ATCs and my newly purchased stands that cost me close to a grand and get tower speakers, or do I venture to improve the sound I currently have? I'm not sure there was a right answer as there's always better; I could  also get two subs and replace my ATC SCM11s with 19s, that would objectively better. Anyways, I'm pleased with my decision and am loving my improved, weightier sound. I've played around with location and settings and with advice (thanks again Tim!) I think I've nailed it...for now. This isn't my first time at the rodeo and I know I will forever be trying to improve things whether its adjusting settings and positions or buying new products or replacing everything and starting again. I'm very happy with my current decision and can't wait to get home after work and throw on some music. for now, I'm in awe! Thanks again everyone!

One last point, I really do love the Rel, I think their high level connection really works. the timing is excellent. very pleased with that decision as well.