Do I need a sub woofer to match my ATC SCM11s

Hi,
I love my speakers (ATC SCM 11s), but am wondering if adding a sub woofer would better my experience? The speakers are on stands being driven by a Hegel H160. Any suggestions/tips to further enhance my system would be greatly appreciated. 

jeres8860
Thanks so much Tim! This is super helpful. Given my space, I'm not sure I can achieve all of this, but will definitely try and use as much of your info as possible. The Rel is supposed to come in this week, can't wait to start experimenting. Thanks again! 
Hello jeres8860,

You're welcome, I'm glad you thought it was useful.  

I don't consider myself a bass expert, I've just learned a lot over the years trying to integrate good bass response with various Magnepan speakers in my system and room.  I've tried a single sub, 2 subs and the 4 sub AK DEBRA dba in my system and have learned that 2 subs will provide better bass response and integration than a single sub.  I've never tried 3 subs but believe it would work better than 2 subs if positioned properly and I know that a 4 sub dba will provide state of the art in-room bass response and integration in virtually  any room and with any speakers.  

I know of no single sub, no matter the quality or price, that is capable of providing anywhere near the sota bass performance of a 4 sub dba.  However, I know you'll be able to achieve very good bass performance with your single REL sub if you set it up properly. 
     I think the most difficult and subtlest steps for you will probably  be setting the REL's volume and cutoff frequency optimally.  I'd suggest setting both as low as possible while still sounding natural, well integrated and the best to you.
     New sub users often make the mistake of setting both too high out of a desire to make the affects of their new and likely expensive sub clearly and obviously heard. Resisting this temptation will result in an overall sound affect that is more subtle but more natural and better integrated with your main speakers.  Remember, the goal is to extend the bass definition and dynamics of your system's sound stage in a seamless manner so that it sounds like a cohesive whole.
     Please let us know the results once you have it properly installed in your system.

Tim   

Hello noble 100,

some systems use two subs, -is the integration of two subs easier, more seamless.

So I've had my sub set up for a week now and I'm loving the addition to my system. I was at a crossroads, in that, do I reverse course and sell my ATCs and my newly purchased stands that cost me close to a grand and get tower speakers, or do I venture to improve the sound I currently have? I'm not sure there was a right answer as there's always better; I could  also get two subs and replace my ATC SCM11s with 19s, that would objectively better. Anyways, I'm pleased with my decision and am loving my improved, weightier sound. I've played around with location and settings and with advice (thanks again Tim!) I think I've nailed it...for now. This isn't my first time at the rodeo and I know I will forever be trying to improve things whether its adjusting settings and positions or buying new products or replacing everything and starting again. I'm very happy with my current decision and can't wait to get home after work and throw on some music. for now, I'm in awe! Thanks again everyone!

One last point, I really do love the Rel, I think their high level connection really works. the timing is excellent. very pleased with that decision as well.

Hello noble 100,

"some systems use two subs, -is the integration of two subs easier, more seamless."

Hello changeout,

In most systems and rooms, I think 2 subs will provide better bass performance than 1, 3 subs will work better than 2 and 4 subs will optimize bass response to state of the art levels in virtually any system/room.  This is assuming that all subs are carefully and properly positioned within the room.

In my experience, the more subs I've utilized in my system/room the more life-like, seamless, dynamic and effortless the perceived bass becomes.  I've personally only used 1, 2 and 4 subs in my system/room and my statement that 3 subs work better than 2 is based on acoustic researcher"s experimental results along with numerous fellow members' reported experiences.

The proper positioning of the sub or subs within a room is required for optimizing bass response.  I mentioned on an earlier post exactly how to position a single sub to attain optimum bass response at the listening seat.  The same procedure is followed for each additional sub added to the system/room.  

As the number of subs in a system/room is increased beyond a single sub, you'll notice the bass begins to sound better at more locations in the room beyond just the sweet spot.with sota bass response throughout the entire room existing once 4 subs are deployed.  

Bass effortlessness, impact and dynamics also increases, as the number of subs in the room increases (when the subs are configured to operate in mono mode) since each sub is required to contribute a smaller portion of the total bass output. 

Tim