Dunlavy SC VI's...

I've owned these speakers for almost 2 years now. To say I'm happy with them, would be a major understatement.
I guess going from solid state to tubes, along with the changing out of the Klipschorns for the SC VI's, was alot to process. I still love my K-horns, and won't part with them. They have a unique sound.
The Dunlavys just seem to do "everything".
I'd love to hear the opinions of other Dunlavy owners. Has anyone made any modifications?
If anyone has the original manual for the SC-VI's, I sure would appreciate a copy.
Thanks for looking... Enjoy!!!
jimateo
02-24-10: Jadem6
what is the room size? The equipment wall is how long? and the width?
Jadem6

My room is approx. 17' wide by 26' long. The back half of the room has a pool table and dry bar. And the front half contains my music system and home theater. The pictures posted probably don't convey the overall issue. My left speaker is on a wall with large perminent windows. Just to the right is a protruding fireplace. My right speaker is in the corner with a short wall(about 4'). I wish I could draw a picture with measurements!
Jim, from what I know of the DAL speakers, the VI, V and IV are very similar except for bass response. Therefore I'll suggest doing a search with all three to add to your information base.

Good luck and have fun.
The traditional Dunlavy placement is along the long wall, but that may not be possible for you.
In theory the perfect placement would be along the long wall with the tweeter 1/3rd into the room and you 1/3rd into the room. This sounds impossible, so next best is 1/5th into the room…

Third best is along the short wall, 1/3rd into the room but this too is not manageable so 1/3rd might be possible. This puts the tweeter 5’-2” into the room from the window wall; meaning the speakers are in from of your equipment. The rule of thumb is 1/3rd difference between side wall and front wall, meaning the sidewall should be 3’6” from the tweeter. This leaves 10”-0” between speakers. Because the speaker is deep into the side corner the bass will be an issue (too boomy) but it’s a start point. The couch on the sidewall would remain and a listening chair would be moved to back up to the pool table when listening. This should give you a good presentation.

The further away from the side wall the less boomy, but at some point the distance between side and front wall will become too close to each other and cause other issues in imaging, so you should move away from the front wall equally which at some point will be too far into the room for your use.

Dunlavy speakers are very, very sensitive to placement, and my guess is you have no idea yet how good these can sound. The soundstage should be amazing one you get it right.

I hope this helps some. The key is to get these speakers out of your corners as much as possible. Imaging, separation, bass definition and special clues will all improve.