Eco-friendly Bamboo ply speakers

Anyone hear the Escalante Design bamboo speakers at the NYC show this year, i missed that room somehow. They make some pretty cool claims in their ads, but how do they sound? Thats a lot of money for monitors so they have some stiff competition in that range. Can anyone respond on the sound? Thanks for listening
jalanc42069

Showing 4 responses by jalanc42069

I don't think there are thousands of Pandas, but here's a quote from the website"Bamboo harvesting does not kill the bamboo plant. The bamboo plant sends up new shoots to reach its full size in just a couple of months. Some bamboo species grow 48 inches in 24 hours, and can reach 100 ft. in 60 days" In my book that sure beats cutting down the rainforest!
Hello to the group. Thanks for all the informative and funny replies, but out of the 20 replies so far, no one has even mentioned the speakers! Guess i should have left out " the b word " in my post, No problem, i emailed the distributor and found out they hope to have their speakers at RMAF in Oct. I was planning on attending anyway, i had a great time at last years RMAF. I will definitely try some of the " b word " cutting boards as isolation shelfs and the Tang Band " b word " drivers too. I put non " b word " Tang Band drivers in the four doors of my car ( 4", can't remember model # )and i'm very happy with them, very inexpensive too. Thanks again, lets hear some more! On the lighter side, I had a dream last night that i was at a concert, it was 9,999 Maniacal Endangered Species performing and i was surrounded by, yes you guessed it, thousands of Pandas, they were not starving, but looked in pretty good shape(fat), most were smoking bamboo. I was offered some by a few of the very friendly Pandas, but graciously refused, not knowing what i was getting into, some Pandas that weren't smoking said that they had chewed some bamboo earlier for a more potent high, but said you have to wait 2 to 3 hrs before peaking so you have to plan ahead. I must have gottin' a contact high from all the second hand smoke, wow , did i have a buzz going! The band never sounded so good, even without their female singer who left the band years ago to pursue a solo career. I felt a little light headed, so i went to the bathroom to wash my face with cold water, and when i went to dry my face, there was no paper towels or toliet paper, just leaves! On the way back into the venue, i stumbled and fell to the floor twice, getting a few very painful splinters in my u know what! The rest of the show was great, with 3 encores, the Pandas went wild! On the way home i decided to take the long way home to try to " level out ", when i walked by the local hi end hifi store, a place called Best Buy( they sell nothing but high end equipment, it's incredible ), i looked in the window and couldn't believe my eyes, a bunch of pandas had smashed the window and were in there walking all over the high end speakers and laughing furiously, they had little bandit masks on but i recognized some of them from the concert by the outfits they were wearing. Within hours, the police arrived, they were fat and furry and looked like...........well, they looked like policemen, except that their nightsticks were not black, but a light tan/yellow color,hmmmm? When the two groups clashed, pandamonium broke loose, the bandit Pandas ran off and the policemen sqeezed back into their copcars and also left the scene. Having had enough excitement for one nite, i continued home, went inside where my ladyfriend was chopping some kind of nuts or something on her new chopping board. We munched down the "nuts" and headed for bed. I felt so good and relaxed as we cuddled up "spoon style" with my arms around her furry little waist. We eventually passed out and in the morning everything was fine until i went into my listening room only to find my precious $50,000 Lirpa Labs model 1 speakers smashed into pieces, woooooow, good thing it was only a dream!
Hey Mike, Thank you, thank you, finally, someone who has not only heard the Escalante Designs Pinyons and Unitas subs, but owns and lives with them! Your descriptions are tantalizing, i'm exciting about hearing them myself at RMAF in October. I have a couple of questions, you mention a Seas ring revelator tweeter, do you mean a Scan-Speak ring revelator or does Seas also make a ring revelator. I checked the Escalante Designs website and they just say ring revelator in their specs, but their picture sure looks like the Scan-Speak tweeter on their website. Also i looked for the review of the Pinyons/Unitas you mentioned by Dave Thomas on Stereotimes.com and could only find a CES 05 report with one glowing paragraph. Is there a full review somewhere, i couldn't find anything else, no mention of a Escalante Designs speaker review in their archives. Thanks again for the teasing review, and also for not mentioning the "B WORD"! Regards, Alan
Wow!, great info guys, Thanks Mikeg and Cable_isolators for your sincere and helpful posts. I've never read anything from Stereotimes.com before but i will start checking that out now. Dave Thomas's rave and extensive review covered everything you could possibly want to know about the Escalantes. If Dave Thomas's reviews are all this detailed, i'll be looking forward to his writings from now on. The only other question i could think of is what amplifier was used for his glowing review? Dave quotes the speakers designer, Tierry Budge saying" My goal is not to build a speaker that is best suited only for low powered tube amps or high powered soild state amps. My goal is to build speakers that will always sound their best regardless of the amplifier. What's important is to get the listener close to the heart of music"! Wow, pretty bold statement, if that is true and tube guys and SS guys will be satisfied, "regardless of the amplifier", then the Pinyons/Unitas are a bargain! If you could spend more of your total budget than you planned on for the Pinyons/Unitas, and possibly spend much less on your amplifier choice, then their prices would be truly justified. It's kinda hard to believe they will sound their best "regardless of the amplifier", so i hope that they will bring an assortment of tube and SS amps, of different price ranges to their exhibit at the RMAF in October to demonstrate this. Imagine how many more music lovers could step up to the Escalantes, that never dreamed of spending that much on speakers! Maybe i should bring my little Sonic Impact Tripath amp or a Teac
Tripath amp to RMAF with me, wouldn't that be interesting! Thanks again guys. I'm kinda new to Audiogon but have already met some great folks! This is a cool space. Regards, Alan