Finding the 'weakest link' when upgrading?

Being able to find the weakest link when upgrading is really, really important.
Otherwise a different new component may never really be able to show how it is better. Since the other ’weak’ component(s) is(are) masking the new components better sound.

This is a difficult problem.

My best example is not exactly about the least sound quality, but it may show something about it.
I upgraded a good portion of my equipment all at once when I retired. And I still had in my system an old DAC I bought used. When I received most of the new components (including new preamp, new amp, new speakers and a new turntable and cartridge), I was comparing my old DAC with the new one. And found no sonic difference. I mean I tried every way I could and could not hear any difference between them/ So either I just wasted $25,000 for nothing or?? I was very frustrated.
Anyway, after three weeks I got another new bit which had to be ordered and built
When I plugged in the phono box, an epiphany and a flood ot tears.. My $25,000 of new equipment really was better. Since the phono box sounded glorious, thus it made it clear all the rest of the system WAS NOT holding back the new DAC. That new DAC was actually just not any better than my old one. And I returned it.

And unless I just happened to acquire that new phono box a week later, I would have been stumped why the new DAC (which was praised to the skies by both Stereophile and TAS) was not doing better.
I was seriously bummed and confused about wasting a ton of money... until I played the new phono box.

Now it was kind of odd that the two DACs, one, used for $250 )it’ original list price was $1,000) and the other $2,400 and 12 years newer) could sound so alike. But chance happened. (And toss in the official guru magazine praise with it all)
==================================================================

Anyway, how do we find the right part to upgrade? Since making the wrong choice can leave one in the same boat I was in back in my example? (at least until I got the phono box)

I do not have an answer. and I ask.. does anyone?
For me it is just kind of a sixth sense, with little real science to it.

In general I have been kind of lucky.
But how do I know I have managed well?

I do not know.
It has been better more often than not.
(Though I have made a few really terrible choices over many years now and then. Costly choices)

Anyway, my question is how do you make the choice of what to upgrade?
How do you know or decide which is you weakest component?

And do you agree finding the weakest component is really important in the path of upgrading, or one might be making expensive mistakes buying gear, or trying gear? (which may really be great, yet you cannot hear it due to some other weak links in the chain? And though I hate to say so, this weak link may even be cables, or powercords or even the AC from the wall*.

*(but please do not get into a big theory arguments about interconnects and powercords and power conditioners.) Stick to the main topic of knowing how to find the weakest link.
elizabeth
The reason that folks talk about a hierarchy of component contribution to sound quality is that it sets expectations on what degree of improvement is possible. It also relates to your theory of constraints question in that something like a DAC could never be a bottleneck since they are all now essentially equal. I agree with roberjerman about the speakers. I would add you need to measure/ understand your listening room to know if that is a potential path for a sound quality upgrade.
Great topic!

Others have covered most of my thoughts. It mostly comes down to the three E’s... Experience, experience, experience. This comes in several ways. Early on, there’s a temptation to just trade equipment if something is not pleasing you. Big mistake. Room acoustics, clean electricity, component decoupling/isolation are the basics. More importantly, one’s time spent with their system evaluating/learning the differences and the logical way to go about it all.This means one needs to become intimately familiar with their system in every aspect.Then comes component synergy. This ain’t for the meek. It can be highly rewarding.

If I could only go back 30 years? to experience the level of realism I’m now enjoying in my system, I may look/feel a lot younger?
Hi Elizabeth,  Sorry, yep, I took you a bit off subject.  I was thinking that that was the order that could make the biggest difference in your system, so when you asked about the weakest link, I was thinking what might make the biggest change,  sorry, my bad. 
As far as the Adcom,  I knew that you had switched to the Bryston, I was actually thinking that you had an old Adcom GDA600 or GDA700 DAC. 
Then I mentioned the differences in Dac's being smaller to accent why you might have found little or no difference between Dac's. 
I missed you posting for quite some time,  glad to see you back!
Thanks timlub,
glad to be back.
Yes  I still enjoy my Adcom DA700
I think DACs are constrained by the original specs of The CD format, and the different implementations of chips and oversampling and filters cannot change that limitation by much.

There's some great discussion here -- really glad I signed up for this forum!

I do agree that it would be great to "determine what you're looking for" or find out "what one really wants to have 'more of'..or 'less of'.'" But how do I know what my system could be with a change or two?  I've always been very happy with whatever system I had -- and amazed when I upgraded something and heard/felt the difference!!

I totally agree with the consensus here that speakers are the first bottleneck. I'd say the cartridge and preamp (if you have a vinyl system) are next. Then the amp. Interconnects , speaker cables... maybe. I'll upgrade from the generic plain-vanilla ones, but haven't heard a real difference -- maybe my system is just not sensitive enough.

And I can't agree at all with Willenj about the superiority of digital sources; they're convenient, but still inferior even to my mid-fi vinyl system.

I do look forward to other and different opinions!

gasbose