FLAC On A Mac

I know this topic appears here often but it seems to change every time I try to do a download.
I have a 7 year old MacBook Pro that i recently changed to OS to El Capitan after endless badgering from Apple to do so.  I previously had both XLD and Decibel on my OS for converting FLAC to Mac Compatible formats for the few downloads that I had ordered from HD Tracks.  
  I hadn't listenedto these downloads since the afore mentioned conversion.  i just ordered a new download (24 bit) from Presto Clasical and now I am getting messages that both programs will not work because they are from unknown developers.  Why these developers have become strangers to Apple after happily coexisting with them is another story but can someone tell me what the current best program for playing these files is>  My Internet search is unhelpful as everything seems to be recommending these two programs
mahler123

Showing 6 responses by mahler123

Ok we are going to the Mac store today as my wife is disgusted with the performance of her 8 year old MabBook Pro since loading El Capitan.  I will ask the people there, though the drop off in Quality of the in store help over the past several years has been painful

Ok, both changing the preferences and and pressing the control key worked.  The problem now is that neither program shows up in my application file.  I downloaded XLD again, since it's free, but it isn't as it formerly did.  Now when I drag a FLAC file to the XLD icon the file Boyce's back to it's own folder.   
  Decibel wants to charge me again, and I had bought a 'lifetime '
subscription for $50 before so I didn't to use it.
  I have an Oppo 105 in the system which I use for audio only.  I bought a monitor and now I'm using the Oppo USB input to play the files.

Spencer

I probably wasn't clear before, but I did that, the XLD icon appeared, but when I dragged a flac file into the icon, the file bounces out and returns to it's own folder.  I didn't have that issue with XLD when I used it two years ago.

XLD works today without me having to do the above.
In the interim, I added a monitor to the system.  I have an Oppo 105 in the system but it was for audio only.  With the monitor added I can now play flac files from it's usb inputs, so now I don't think that I want to go through the hassle of converting the flac files to AIFF.
   However if I change my mind, the Oppo will play WAV, not AIFF.
If I am going to convert the files to a mac format I might as well pick
a codec that will also play on the Oppo.  What program should I use?  I've heard good things about JRiver

sbank

I took the Oppo data from their web site, which mentioned playing WAV and didn't mention playing AIFF.  In my experience when a component doesn't mention compatibility with a format that means it won't play that format.  I am glad to be corrected.  Actually, I added a VIDEO monitor to my OPPO, and am playing the flac files on it just fine  Problem solved, set me back $100.00 but what the hey, I'm happy

not every download site offers ALAC or AIFF.  Some only offer FLAC, as reading the posts in this thread would have revealed to you