FR64s & Orsonic Av-1s Effective mass ?

Hi Good folks!

I have an FR 64s with original headshell. Have ordered an Orsonic Av-1s/ 10 grams, to meet better compliance/ resonnance matching with higher compliance cartridges.

Any idea what the effective mass will be with this combination?

Would be funny to try for example how my London Decca Super Gold would work with this arm..😀

geddyen

Dear Lew, I admire the ''mechanical beauty'' of the FR-64s of

which I own the silver and the copper version. I also own the Ikeda

345 which is, according to J. Carr, Ikeda's best. But I have no preference  for one above the other.

Cleeds, Whatever one may think about Raul I don't believe that he

would buy an defective FR-64/66 . If he still owns both they should

be in excelent condition. If I could afford the FR-66 I would make

him an offer (grin). 

Interresting debate!

Got the Orsonic AV1S after some busy days with barbequing, beers and music. There must be no doubt that the AV1S was a much better match than the original FR64S headshell with the Super Gold. It sounds smother, cleaner and dynamics is really kicking. It is quite fun to drop the Decca needle now. And amazingly, the hum totally dissapeared😃!
According to HFN test record the ressonance are now about 9 hz. Still tweaking..
I should mention that I guess the relative good result also has to do with  the vacuum ( flat record/ no suspencion cantilever) and " oil spring damped" plinth/ Basis Debut..
As I implied in one of my responses to Raul, I think the coupling of the tonearm (any tonearm, but maybe especially undamped tonearms) to high mass is another form of dampening.  So, you're on the right track, IMO.
Yes, I was thinking about on what You wrote about the B-60, offloading the vibration energy. An interresting theory. By the way I do not have the B-60, but the arm is drilled directly in the Debut plint.