Going to rip 2000 cds. Which software?

At 63 years old I've decided it's finally time to make the move to a digital library.  I've spent hours and hours on this forum reading about servers, streamers, music servers, nas systems and modded Mac Minis.  I'm more than confused.  I'm pretty much ready to just buy a new transport and be done with it. 

But.... I play "cuts."  I hardly ever play an entire record or cd and would like the ability to choose what's playing from the couch.

I know that the first step is ripping cds.  I have a couple of questions;

1.  Which software should I use?  I am concerned about speed and indexing.  I'm a jazzhead and have quite a few recordings by the same artists that have recorded multiple versions of the same tune.  I want to make sure they are indexed properly.  I would also like a program that doesn't take all day to make a copy.

2.  I can use either Mac or PC.  I would prefer Mac but would use a PC if it is more future proof.  I have a Macbook Air and a PC laptop and both have dual 2 terrabyte external drives.

3. I would also consider a Music Server with a nas rig.

If I do a music server with nas I'd like to keep the price around $2000.

Thanks to all of you.

--Bob

jzzmusician

Showing 7 responses by ghosthouse

Bob - 
I'm a contemporary age-wise.  The way I got unconfused about setting up a digital library was to just jump in and try it.  I tend to take a pretty basic and pragmatic approach to most things audio - which is to say, I don't obsess about audio quality differences that others talk about if I can't hear 'em (e.g., WAV vs ALAC).  AND I tend to prefer lower cost solutions that provide 90% of a benefit rather than way more costly alternatives that will realize the last 10% or so.  I'm probably not your poster child for "audiophilia" as defined by some.  Consider my comments representing the "low tech" end of an implementation continuum. 

I use a MacBook Air and iTunes to rip CDs in ALAC to a pair of Western Digital 2TB Hard Drives (one is back up to the other).  iTunes gets criticized mainly (I think) due to association with lossy, compressed, and crappy sounding MP-3 files (I CAN hear that difference, by the way!)  But it doesn't have to be that way.  There are preference options to ensure good quality rips.  iTunes is very fast at ripping CDs (even w/quality parameters max'd out in preferences) and I like the way it handles meta data.  It works consistently.  No glitches or mysterious software issues on my MBA.

I use BitPerfect v3.0.1 for playback.  I have a double headed USB cable (one leg for power; one leg for signal) that I connect to a Gungnir DAC via V-Link 192 with a Stereovox SPDIF cable.  The Gungnir feeds into my integrated amp or pre-amp depending on what equipment I'm running.

I'm sure my relatively low cost/low tech approach can be criticized as "non-optimal".  All I can say is, it works reliably and things sound very good.  I guess it's jitter reduction, but to my ear the sound from ripped CDs vs actual playback in a CDP seems smoother and more relaxed (and I don't mean due to changes in frequency response).  Good luck in your research and final decision.  
Hello jzzmusician.  Gosh, have to say I'm very surprised to hear 15 minutes to rip a CD.  That has not been my experience using the latest version of iTunes (v12.3.2.35) or even previous versions.  Recent CDs I imported to my iTunes library took at most a minute or two.  Certainly under 5 min.  I am no IT guru so we will quickly reach the limit of what I can tell you.  Checking iTunes' General Preferences Tab and then Import Settings, I see that I have "Apples Lossless Encoder" selected along with "Use Error Correction When Reading Audio CDs".  The import settings are all "automatic" for ALAC (but can be customized for WAV, AIFF, etc.).  Is it possible your CDs are dirty or damaged (pls. don't take offense)...triggering a lot of error correction?  Lots of CD treatment products available if needed; low budge option: eye glass cleaning spray and microfibre cloths.  Because of storing my iTunes library on an external drive, I do have to hold down the option button when clicking on the iTunes icon.  This generates a pop up window asking me to choose the iTunes library...from there I choose the .itl iTunes library file on the external drive as shown in Finder.  

dbtom2 - appreciate your follow up comments.  I often feel like the poor country cousin on A'gon.  Nice to read supporting comments.  Good points too about shutting down any non-essential programs and doing a re-boot prior to importing CDs.  

As a follow up to my own initial comments...those were intended as a simple way for jzzmusician to get started.  Figure out how to do the basics then worry about new hardware and/or software that might well give better sound but will likely mean more $ and greater complication.  Only he/she can decide if the benefit is worth the extra effort.

Ciao.
Sorry - late arriving thought...
jzz - one possibly relevant factor might be that I'm using a USB 3.0 connection between MBA and WD hard drives.  Not 100% certain that affects the speed of import but it seems like it might since my library is on an external drive.
Lear - I have fumbled around learning how to do this myself (changing the location of my iTunes ripped CDs from computer to external hard drive). Search the internet and Apple support and see what the experts advise. It might be no harder than dragging the ENTIRE iTunes folder over to your ext. hard drive (I still have iTunes on my computer but do not use it...day to day). Given the number of files you will be moving, this might take some time to complete. Once iTunes is on your hard drive, when you open iTunes to play music, you will have to tell iTunes the new location of the library. You will want to direct it to a file on your hard drive in iTunes that has the .itl extension...That’s dot-eye-tea-el (just in case characters are not completely legible). I direct iTunes to the appropriate library by holding down the Option key while clicking the iTunes icon. This should open a pop up that says, "Choose Library". Select the highlighted choose library button. This will open Finder. In Finder locate and click on your hard drive which should be listed. In the iTunes folder on your hard drive you should be able to find a file called, "iTunes Library.itl". Click on it and then click on "Open" in the bottom right of the screen to complete this selection. iTunes should now access the music files on your hard drive. I use BitPerfect rather than Audirvana or JRiver and I have to tell that where the music is located. When I start BitPerfect it will ask two things. First step is to direct it to the .xml file in the iTunes folder on your hard drive (find and click on this then click Select or Open bottom right). Second is to direct it to the actual music library on the hard drive. I do this by clicking on "Music" in the iTunes media folder. Hope that works for you. It is what I use on a MacBook Air. By the way, when ripping CDs you will have to identify the external hard drive as the new destination otherwise files will be saved on your computer. When iTunes is open, go to (Preferences?) and set the external hard drive as the new destination folder. Going from memory on this. Haven’t had to do this part in a while so you might have to hunt a bit in iTunes for setting the library location for ripped files...could be under an "Advanced" button. Good luck. Don’t hesitate sending me email if you think that will help.
PS - I did nothing special to "prep" or format my Western Digital 2TB hard drive.  I use Time Machine for back up to that same ext. hard drive. Since I only keep the basic iTunes software on the computer and have no significant library associated with it, backup does not duplicate my iTunes library on the external hard drive.  

You might be well served experimenting with "exporting" just a portion of your library - 1 or 2 saved CDs  - until you get the hang of things.

Lear - I have a 2nd WD hard drive on which I maintain a duplicate of my iTunes library.  Also use Time Machine to back up the MBA to this one too...so, duplicates of both the MBA and iTunes library on external hard drives.

Happy to be able to help, Lear.  I would again definitely urge you to "start small"!  Good luck.