Good cartridge for Audioquest PT6 arm ???

Hello, I am going to be setting up a Audioquest PT6 arm, and wondered what would be a good cartridge match for this arm. Mostly rock, jazz. I would be using the MM phono section of my Mac C712 preamp. Would like to keep it $300.00 and under for now. So far I have come up with the Denon 160 and 110, and the Sumiko Blue Point no 2. I have also seen some Benz MM cartidges with rebates they are giving. I'm still under the impression I want a H.O. MC cartridge, but wondered about, the Moving magnets in this range also. Any guidnace here appreciated with matching that arm.

Thanks,

Wayne
waynefia
Wayne, Since you wish to preferably stay with MM, one good recommendation would be to find an NOS Shure V-15 Type III off Ebay. These, in NOS unused condition will go for $300-$350.

While I'm sure there are many other good recommendations, as there's tons of people here more knowledgeable than I, the Shure is still one of the all time greats, incomparable tracking ability, very good sonics. I've seen a few of these pop up lately on ebay, and they seem to be a sort of common item lately.

Downsides are: Getting a replacement stylus for these has become very tough, and they also go for big bucks.

Of course, the latest Shure (was it the VxMr?) might be easier to get as new, and to also get a replacement Stylus when needed.

With your Mac equipment with MM Stage, you'll need a Cartridge that will typically have an output of 4.5Mv to 5Mv. Cartridges like the Hi-Output Glider, will not have enough output to work well with typical MM Phono Stages in the Mac Gear.

Of course, other, less costly options would be a Grado, and another nice cartridge I was always partial to, and that was Audio Technica. I always dug the older Shibata Stylus units such as the AT-14S, AT-15S, and the rare AT-20SLa. Audio Technica I believe also has compatible current offerings that are good. Mark
Mark, are you saying that the Mac MM phono stage will not handle a H.O. moving coil like others might ? I was under the impression that I could use a HO moving coil.
Wayne, If you have your McIntosh Manual, check it out, and see what it says. I've never known any Mac gear that had an internal Phono Stage suitable for MC cartridges. Even at 2.5Mv output (like the new Gliders are), a Moving Coil just isn't going to have enough output. You would most likely be cranking the volume control to 75% to get "maybe" medium volume.

With this kind of arrangement, just one mistake switching inputs on the pre over to CD, FM, or Tape, and you'd likely damage something like a speaker due to excessive volume difference.

I'm not personally familiar with your particular unit, but many Mac Pre-Amps have provision for Aux (or a Phono/Aux), and this is where you'll need to insert a Phono Pre-Amp if you desire to use an MC with your set-up.

That is why I say, your options for low cost good performance will be with a high quality MM Cartridge, versus running the gamut with a outboard Phono Stage, and two additional reasonably high quality interconnects.

For years I used a Shure V-15 type III myself, with a Pioneer Pl-51 manual Turntable, running through my Mac gear. Always had a very good detailed sound. I'm sure with the AQ Arm, and VPI Turntable, much more can be extracted from this particular Shure cartridge, and should sound much better than one did on my Pioneer table.

Your options are numerous, and I reckon a decision you'll need to sleep on a bit. Bottom line is, how much can you invest into your analog set-up?

There are other options as a step up device, as I can remember my buddy using one some years back to boost the output of an old Ortofon OM-10 going into a vintage Sansui Seven Reciever. Mark
At the $300 point there's always the Grado Platinum (woody). However there's ths issue of hum with some turntables. What TT are you using the arm on?

Enjoy,
Bob