Harbeth 30.1 ? The Ultimate Speaker under $5K ?

I have been on a mission lately to find the best speakers within my budget - under $5K ...I am definitely an audio freak and my sound engineer in LA told me we went to a HiFi convention of sorts in Newport and heard every high end boutique speaker there is and hands down the Harbeth 30.1 was the best...thought it was a live band as he turned the corner into room ! 

Local hiFi high end shops always push whatever they deal....guy near me recommends Paradigm Prestige 95s but the seem more for home theatre use...here's my profile: 

I listen MOSTLY to LPs (stream on occasion with Audioengine B1)
Marantz PM-11S1 Mono Block Amp
Sony STR-V7 Amp
Technics SL-15 
1 SVS SB1000 Sub (if necessary) 
My listening room : is approximately 15 feet from Hifi to sitting position, wood floors , pitched ceiling about 10-15 feet in spots ...entire room approx 30 feet across . I consider it a VERY live, reflective space. 

I am a drummer so I love fat , tight kick drum. Rock i.e.: Rush , Prince, old 70s / 80s fusion/Jazz  
I listen to all different volume levels, sometimes low, sometimes I turn up music very loud and crappy speakers always seem to lose definition at high volume . 

I currently have some NHTs 2.3 & Infinity IL60s for surround....

Is the Harbeth 30.1 too small of a speaker for my spot?  what do you guys recommend! Thank You !
128x128tommypenngotti
@gosta

I wouldn’t call the Harbeth bass "muddy," but it’s definitely not as punchy or dynamic as ATC. - that goes for all the BBC derivatives. What bothered me about the C7s, especially, was their cabinet was very easy to localize in the sound "picture." They didn’t perform the disappearing act very well. The bass was sort of like what I find in stock automotive speakers - overblown in the upper bass. It’s hard to describe, other than to say it sounded like the cone was working a little too hard and the cabinet needed a larger port. That wasn’t the case as much with the SHL5 but it was with the M30s.

The Harbeth midrange is pretty good but they just don’t resolve as much of the music as the competition. They have a brighter treble and upper midrange, which I suspect may be mistaken for greater detail by many listeners. I think the inherent benefits of a plastic cone are lost on Harbeths, because to my ears, they sound like what I associate with ceramic-coated aluminum drivers. It’s as though their goal of creating a very stiff plastic cone resulted in negating the inherent dampening properties of the plastic - so they sound almost like a metal cone. That’s just how I hear them and it goes for the whole range, from the P3s to the M40s.

I’m reluctant to provide these opinions because as you’ve probably noticed, their fanbase is an extremely sensitive and defensive bunch. As I’ve said before, this isn’t to say they’re bad speakers in the grand scheme of things, but I strongly feel they are over-hyped. I can only guess their popularity has to do with their much larger distribution network (in the U.S. anyway), their greater presence at hi-fi shows, and Alan Shaw’s subtle but effective prowess in content marketing. I also have to wonder if some of the audio rags are on their take. Tone Audio wrote a comparison piece where they claimed the C7s were a much better speaker than the Stirling Broadcast SB-88s. I couldn’t have disagreed more with that review. IME and opinion, the reality is quite the opposite. The SB-88s are the better speakers unless one judges them solely on expanse of the soundstage.

Being that you’re accustomed to ATC and Tannoy, I don’t know that you should bother with a BBC type speaker unless you want something a little warmer, in which case I’d recommend either the Grahams or Spendor Classics.
@murphythecat

I could really care less what you’re "tired of" me doing. I couldn’t give to licks about your opinions and they are just that - opinions - they’re no more valid than my own. You’re not going to stop me from posting my own. Yes, the C7s are the only Harbeths I’ve actually owned, but I’ve heard the others in dedicated listening rooms, driven by high-end gear. I’ve heard them enough to have formed my conclusion - that they don’t sound as natural or as resolving as the others. It’s just my opinion and it’s no more valid than yours. Folks here can take it for just that. I’ve become a bit of a Spendor fanboy, but in case you didn’t,
notice, I recommended the OP consider Klipsch or Tannoy for his needs. I won’t claim that Spendor are the end-all be-all of speaker design or that they’ll sound most natural to every listener.

I can tell you that I really wanted to prefer Harbeths, because I love the aesthetics of their cabinets - especially the Eucalyptus and Zebrawood veneers. Unfortunately, they just don’t do it for me sonically. I’m glad you’re happy with the SHL5s - really, because all that matters in the end is that we’re happy with our individual systems. All I suggested to the OP was that he give the competition a chance, and not assume the M30s are the best speaker under $5K. I’m sure you would agree that it’s foolish to make such an assumption about any speaker without some auditions.
@ Helomech

Thanks for your input. Yes, my next speaker set need to provide me with a little more warmth when playing not so perfect recordings (like most rock and sometimes pop like Adele). I thought the Tannoys DC10A would bring me that, but they are merciless...(like the ATC 150). I'm still running them in (letting my head get used to them) to later compare them direct to the ATC. On good recordings they are fantastic though with the best soundstage I experienced so far (yes, including ATC). Extremely precise. I run them with their big DC subwoofer.

Maybe I already got the "warmer" loudspeaker in a pair of Gamut M7 which I pair with two SVS sb-16 subs (Lyngdorf 2200). They are both warmer in the mids and softer in the highs (Scanspeak revelator drivers) and can play very loud without disturbing distortion. However, for good recordings the ATC and the Tannoys for me are superior. So, maybe it's of no use for me to think about a traditional english speaker to complete my setup. Maybe I should look for something else. Vintage Tannoys?

Recommend a listen to Bonnie Raitt "In session" - early live acoustic.

i dont know
i feel like theres a limit to opinions and sometime we need to compare two speakers in the same room and the preference will be much less subjective then we think.

everyone who both heard, in my room, the graham ls59 and harbeth shl5plus prefered the harbeth. all i care to say. 
gosta
i had jbl lsr6332. couldnt warmed to it

vintage tannoys? had tannoy berkeley, gold, ect and never would desbribe them as warm. 
im surprised you dont love atc scm150a.
maybe devore 093 could give you the warmness you want. id also been curious about audio note ane and pap open baffle speakers. imo harbeth shl5plus are great and not unforgiving or analytical.

keep us posted on your speaker tryout