Help with an Amp in the 1500 ballpark used

Here are the contestants: Classe CA201, Bryston 4BST, Aragon 8008BB-(New Version to come out 2002), Blue Circle BC22, McCormack DNA-225, Musical Fidelity A3CR. Any other suggestion?

I need a strong amp to run Platinum Solos!

To be honest, I like the Levinson 331 sound best but do not want to spend that much, even used! Any help directing me to an amp that would be the closest to the levinson's transparency, tight bass, and superb imaging is appreciated. Thanks! (Oh yeah, I plan on running a tube preamp to soften up the mids while maintaining the other virtues so a dry amp is doable)
platsolos

Showing 1 response by duanegoosen

Haven't compared as many amps as some of the regulars who make this such an excellent site, but I have listened to the Levinson 27.5 extensively and I like it a lot. I think a Coda 11 is more immediate and sensitive in handling attack and decay. It also seems to be better at revealing subtle shifts in volume and tone (You'll know more easily when a pianist hits and holds down a key w/a little extra force or when a clarinet player decides to blow a bit harder to get more sustain than you might w/ the 27.5). I think both amps are astonishingly good in the right chain. There might be even better amps out there in this price range, if you find one let me know.