Help with "popping" Quad 2805

I purchased a pair of Quad 2805s here on the forum.  They arrived last Tuesday and after unpacking and plugged them in one of the speakers immediately starting making a popping sound.

The seller has been unresponsive and I need some sort of repair before I can use them.  I'm in a small town and would have to ship them to whoever can do the repair.  Will probably have to wait a couple of months as I spent way over my budget on these.

Any help provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
jzzmusician

Showing 2 responses by acbc

Hi, first congrats on the quads. Once this issue is all sorted out I'm sure you're going to love them.  I have a set of 989's and they're great.  If you do a web search you'll find plenty of guys that work on them.  One search term that gave back good results ' quad esl repairs ' .  

A guy based in Florida gets high marks - http://quadsunlimited.us/welcome/4534267346

Just a side note.  I know this doesn't make sense to most people and I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't try it, and hear the change for myself.  Think about changing out the stock power cords with heavy gauge ones .  Why do this?  Well, when I did it my 989 suddenly had deeper base and a richer mid range.  To me it was well worth the price of the 2 cables ($200.00).  I'm using panga 9's .

Good luck 

Hi, first onhwy is correct you should follow up with the seller, then audiogon, and then PayPal- if you used it.  

Second, check out this link. It's about esl 63's, but they're very similar to the 2809's.   Don't dismiss the 'giving them a good could couple of whacks' (side to side) recommendation.  I had some buzzing on mine and naturally I was thinking the worst.  Read about how dust can get into a panel and cause all sorts of noises. Reluctantly I gave the buzzing speaker a whack ( actually 3) and the buzz was gone.  Phew.... Strange but thankfully work.   Please bear in mind that at one point your quads ( all quads) will need service.  
Also, at the risk of over staying my welcome--- don't over drive them.  20 watts will be plenty.  I'm using an el 34 tube amp rated at 20 and its magic.   Enjoy! 

The link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/148558-quad-esl-63-problem.html