How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I came to a conclusion that since different music sound better on different speakers, we need a few sets. We can get Niles speaker selector and switch from one to another as music demands - we will our enjoy listening more of the times, and not get that upgrade itch as easily.

For instance, voice sounds better on speakers with low Q values - the spring in the woofer loaded softely - not too tightly. This gives a richer sound. Especially true for classical singers - when they sing loudly and make a sudden crescendo, it still keeps sound soft so as not to bother you - as with speakers with high Q value - hard spring loaded. This is especially true if you listen at high volume - on low enough volume, you might be able to get by without pronounced distraction.

High Q-value woofers do certain acoustic instruments well - like piano, guitar, and other string instruments, because they sound more realistic. The springy feeling one gets from the live performance is captured. However, not too many have a refined sound. Old JBL 4312 for instance have alnico woofers with high q-value, but still sounds refied - unlike many of the todays speakers with high Q-values. I like them even better than B&W top of the line series. Old Tannoys with tweeters built in at the center also sounds refined (even better than the JBL). I am talking about the Tannoy gold and not their newer plastic woofers.

If you have both, than you can switch from one to another, and get the best of the both worlds, as music dictates. But keep in mined, that no matter how much you spend on your system, it can never be completly like a live performance! Don't try to follow that dream - your bank account will thank you, and your loved ones.

However, if you have many sets of speakers at your listening pleasure, you will be satisfied more of the times, and hopefully this will solve the ever upgrade bug.

Hope you find your sonic nirvanah...
Gonglee3, I think you're onto something good here with your different speakers idea.

If you take it a step further, why not just build three different systems in different rooms designed for different types of music. Ahh, wouldn't that be nice? You could even decorate them differently. Heheh.
Wel. I have three pairs in my listening room now and it's not helping at all. In fact, it just adds to the anxiety. But if they were each permanently situated and I could just flip a switch, preferably by remote, it could work.

A non-audiophile was over the other night and we compared two pairs of speakers. One he likened to a teenage girl and the other pair he said sounded like a woman. How can you choose just one? I mean, sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes...
Gonglee3, I thought Q was a measure of resonance of driver material -ie. metal rings and will have a high Q. Sounds like what you're talking about is suspension compliance or damping factor of the speaker.
Cdc - I am sure you are right too - my DIY book described Q value as the spring behind a woofer - if you press on it, some feel tight, and some loose (some have more resistance) I mean by high Q, a tight strong spring. This might not be a universally agreed on audio lingo, but you get the idea, no?

On with getting off the meery go around, there was a time when I tried to captured the "live" sound - but no more. I have bought too many components chasing that rain-bow, and when I stoped to think about it, it became obvious how one system cannot do all!

Different speakers have different color to their sound, and look at the different colors many musical instruments make. Pretty soprano of female voice is again different from the mellow deep baritone. The speaker that captures the high sounds of a stradivarius (violin) sounds piercing on soprano. So don't keep pouring more and more money into this hobby - like a $70,000 turntable for instance. I am sure it's a little better than a $2000 set up, but then it still ain't the real thing...

I ended up with a few sets of speakers doing different things well, and I go back and forth depending on the music and my mood, and I seem to have cured the upgrade bug for now - but it's fun to look for new things too - I have to admit.