How often do you have to service your Studer or Otari deck ? Home not pro environment.

I guess, there are still places where you can be confident that they know what they do.
inna

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

i had a couple of revox B77 i use in a mobile recording rack, proved so reliable that i sold spare to a very high end shop in San Diego..they use it with a protection copy Jacintha tape for demo...it sounds excellent 
ATR tape high speed big reels iec EQ
good techs abound on West Coast seattle to san diego because of the studio demand...

what are you seeking to do ?

well like anything audiophile, easy to go off the deep end...start w B77 bone stock but running well, aligned and setup for the tape you plan to run..

after a bit you can bypass the decks alectronics with preamps but again that is the depper end...

get an Opus 3 master copy duplicate and go from there.....

have fun !!!!!
 @ct0517  I think I gave pretty good advice IF he wants a legal tape that the artist will benefit from. Expensive yes, but getting a reference grade tape to improve his system does not have to be anywhere near the $700 you mention.

not saying I am a saint but I would also pass on a nice vintage Les Paul, IF I was pretty certain it was hot...

there is of course wild and extensive networks that trade in such tapes...etc.

also, tape while good should just be part of improving your system, digital done right, really good microphones into just the best preamps, no mixer, will help you in some areas exceed just using tape as a reference... also thise sources can be judged against and in combination with direct to disc...

my next step, IF I take it may be the path Ralph went down....buy a lathe....

have fun inna....there is a bit ( or more ) Pirate in all of us...

Jim

I guess I should disclose a patronage relationship with recording artists / producers / studios.....oh and I guess even an “ entertainment lawyer filmaker, storyteller / raconteur......

but I am also a consumer.....
ya Miles was famous for working for free....

please ignore anything I might post in the future....

a good night to you