How to configure a PC for outstanding Audio?

How do you configure a PC for outstanding Analog Audio Output?

I am about to invest in a new PC (preferrably a standalone, but perhaps a laptop with external monitor or a desktop)and would love to have the capability to use it to connect to my hybrid NAD/McIntosh/ADS audio/HT system.

Thoughts?

Thank You,

Mark
mwilliford
I promise I didn't mean to set-off a bi-polar comuting war...really!

Let's recap some good things you folks have tought me here:

1) HTPC can be a good thing, and if field-proven by the idiot-cast (such as myself) Windows 7 might be an ideal OS for this.

2) Whether using HTPC or a "normal" PC an external DAC is the way to go presently. Anybody besides me see the need for an audiophile quality HTPC (or MAC) that would find a way of housing both and offer the computer advantages of being able to adapt to latest media format, download the Dolby / THX / Et al flavor-of-the-month?...as well as store a good chunk of your media?

OK, now back to specifics and today's world: What HTPC (we had a Dell candidiate earlier)? and what DAC? Any way to hit $1000 with this? Now if we are getting a new PC in the deal (my other sit-down hobby is photograhy) I could see the investment..err-OK..expenditure...moving up to $1500 to $2000.

So where do we go in these two scenarios...dedicated HTPC and new PC with HT capability?

Thanks for the lively discussion.

Mark
I suggest you build your own computer, "Newegg" and "Tiger Direct" have everthing you need to roll your own. There is nothing hard about it...mostly research on the parts you need, and or want for "your" system.

You should come in at under $1,000 for an outstanding computer system. Install two hard drives....Linux mint 64 bit on one (free), and Windows 7 64 bit on the other (free for a year).

Dave
Mark -- I think you'll find reading through this thread about Squeezebox approaches to be very thought-provoking, and perhaps particularly applicable because it could facilitate using a high performance desktop pc that would be a good way of serving your photography and other purposes in addition to being a music server:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1238443306

Regards,
-- Al
Me a Mac Fanboy? Wow- if I respectfully state my reasoned opinion that after using both for years, I prefer Mac to Windows products that are currently released (7 is not) I am labeled a Fanboy?

Maybe this explains the crappy level of discourse that unfolds in the political arena as well. No respect for anyone else's opinion- just slap the guy down by calling him a name- like Fanboy.

What's the point of sharing opinions? What is this, the WWF of Audio?