I need to buy a complete system.

I am in the market for a complete stereo system.  I plan on using a DAC, with music on a Mac Mini.  I had a VTL pre-amp, Moon amp and B&W 802 speakers.  I like the idea of tubes and since I will need a complete system the difficulty of driving the speakers are not there, as I will need speakers as well.  The room that it will be placed in is a large open room with 30 foot ceilings and lots of glass windows, with tile floor only 1 area rug.  Suggestions??
mhsmith

Showing 3 responses by noble100

mhsmith,

I like randy-11's system suggestion but I'd add the Swarm Distributed Bass System for good. natural and solid bass performance throughout your large space: www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audiokinesis-swarm-subwoofer-system/
     You can then setup the Magnepan 3.7i or 20.7 speakers for optimum mid-range, treble and sound stage performance at your chosen seated listening position.  You'd still have plenty left for room treatments to dial things in . This could be a dream system that I'd love to hear.

Best wishes,
   Tim

mhsmith,

I think your room is a good fit for the Swarm Distributed Bass Array for a few reasons:
1.  Having 4 medium-to-small subs strategically dispersed throughout your large room would provide throughout your entire large space.
2.  There's no need for any microphones, room analyzing software, equalization, digital signal processing or room treatments whatsoever.  A very good fit for your requirements.

Tim
Hi willemj,

Good points, I agree with everything you said.  Since installing a Swarm 4 sub solution in my system, I've found exactly what you stated to be true:  the Swarm takes care of the bass in the room without the need for large bass room treatments. I haven't found a need for room equalization or dsp but will reserve judgement on whether that may be of even further benefit until I give it a try.  And, true, that just leaves the more predictable mid-range and treble frequencies above the Shroeder frequency to get right in the room via speaker positioning and strategic room treatments.
     I now consider system installation as a 2-step process; 1st getting the bass right in the room and then getting everything above the bass right in the room.  
    I think mhsmith would find this approach very suitable in his large room, as well.

Thanks,
  Tim