Is 74 dB too much gain for the Dynavector XX2mkII?

So I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who may know a lot more about phono cartridges than I do.....I was fortunate enough recently to pick up an Audio Research Ref 2 SE phono preamp to go with my Dynavector and VPI Classic Signature.  The setup sounds great!  I would love to take advantage of the dual outputs (1 single ended and 1 balanced) on the back of the phono preamp since I usually record to digital files for playback in my car of albums that I don't have on CD.....so I would use the balanced output right into the preamp and the single ended into my NAD PP4 ADC at the same time.  The output of the balanced connection is a hefty 74 dB while the output of the single ended RCA is 68 dB.....right in the wheelhouse of the XX2mkII according to things I've read plus the online calculator that I've seen some use on here.  I have listened to both and they both sound fine, the single ended seems to be a little livelier while the balanced connection seems a little smoother and more laid back, possibly a little lower noise floor.  My question is whether the 74 dB gain is too much for that cartridge?  I don't hear any distortion or anything, but I really don't know what a cartridge would sound like with too much gain since I'm not an expert by any means and have never listened to a mismatched cartridge.  
audioguy3107
While with some components doing what you propose might result in a number of issues, after looking at the specs for the PP4, the Ref Phono 2SE, the cartridge, and the McIntosh C2300 preamp listed in your system description (assuming you are still using it, as your line stage), and after doing some related calculations, I don’t see any problems in this case.

One point to keep in mind, though: I wouldn’t be surprised if the RCA output connector of the phono stage for each channel is wired directly to one of the two signal pins on the corresponding XLR connector, with the same output stage providing the signal to both of those destinations. Which means that having the PP4 connected while listening to your system **might** have **slight** adverse effects on the sonics of the system, since it would result in unequal loading of the two signals in the balanced signal pair. But given the 47K input impedance of the line-level inputs of the PP4, I suspect that won’t be a significant issue. Also, though, try to keep the length of the cables to the PP4 fairly short, and/or choose cables having low capacitance per unit length, as the capacitance of those cables (which is proportional to length, as well as being dependent on the capacitance per unit length of the particular cable) can also affect the signals received by the line stage preamp if (as I suspect) the RCA outputs of the phono stage are driven by the same output stages which drive one of the two signals on the XLR connectors.

Regards,
-- Al