Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent

Showing 3 responses by jollytinker

the trouble is you'll need a good phono stage to do justice to whatever you put together with the turntable. all of it can be done used for better value (except maybe the cartridge), but $3000 maybe a more reasonable target to get an analog front end into your system.  

The Marantz TT15s gets high praise from people whose opinion I trust. It's actually a rebadged Clearaudio TT and retails for 1500.  used ones on eBay are about $1k often with good carts.  
oops -- once again I forgot to refresh the page before posting a response.  Sorry if i'm being redundant. 

Btw - nice thing about an older VPI is that you can gradually upgrade the parts and end up with a really stellar turntable (and a nice analog rabbit hole to fall into!). The Aries TT's are great for that.