Is there a better DAC than the Schiit Bifrost for $300?

I have a Schiit Modi 2 Uber as my DAC. I'm not completely dissatisfied with it but understand that it is low end and that there must be room for improvement. I've got a nice older system but I'm not a fanatic about SQ (yet). I could use the Modi elsewhere or sell it...although Schiit just came out with the Modi 3 so the Modi 2 Uber is only worth about $60-$70 now.

There are open box Bifrosts on eBay for around $330. They are $400 new.

My questions are:

Should I see noticeable improvement going from the Modi 2 to the Bifrost?
What if I just went to a Modi 2 Multibit at $250 new, $200 used?
Is there another DAC I should consider in the $250-$300 range?
n80

Showing 1 response by veroguy

I have a Modi-2 Multi-bit (Mimby).  I think it sounds very good and is great value.  Sometimes the highs have a metallic glare, though.  A hi-hat can sound like air being released from a tire.

From the reviews I've read, it sounds that as you go up the line of Schiit DACS, the high's are improved - but most everything else is similar.  But for $250, the Modi Multi-bit is not a risky choice at all, IMO.

To my ears, the Mimby is better than the built-in ESS Sabre DAC that was built-in to my Yamaha integrated.  I think that was using the 9018 chip.

But, my CD player from 2000 sounds better to me than the Mimby.  It has two PCM63 chips with a PMD100 filter.  The highs are just as detailed, if not more than the Mimby, but not so pronounced.

I'm buying a new DAC early next year.  As of now, I'm interested in top or second tier models from Mojo-Audio, Metrum, Schiit, SW1X.

On the used market, old dacs like the Adcom GDA-600 or Parasound 1100HD can be had for around $200.  These have the same chips as my CD player.  I've read that the opamps and other components can be upgraded cheaply with excellent results.   I might do this, just to see how it would stack up to the Mimby and whatever I might demo, as well as a learning opportunity for me.

-Veroguy