Items for sale here and on ebay without remotes....

Do people understand that many of these items may be stolen?  No time to find the remote in the theft.  By no means all, but especially on ebay the number of units without remotes is amazingly high.  
whatjd
I don't know what kind of area you guys live in but to me the whole idea that a significant percentage of items sans remotes are stolen is bizarre. I've picked up a large number of receivers for instance at garage sales. Very few have remotes. Are they therefore suspicious? Get real.

Before you sneer that I mentioned garage sales, I did find a nice set of Quad ESL 57's on custom hardwood Levinson stands for $300 once in the Haight by the Panhandle. Yes, I did. No, I didn't think that somebody
had broken a window, grabbed the speakers and gone a running to then sell them at a garage sale.
Ever been to a thrift shop and seen a bin full of lonely remotes? No?Seems like all Thrift stores have a bin like that. Because of all the thugsthat are too lazy to hunt down the remotes?
I just don't see it.

Think I'll check some conspiracy websites now...
 I'm no tin foil hat wearer but last I checked remotes don't have feet.  They shouldn't just wander off on their own.  It's amazing to me that people can't seem to hold on to them.  
In Australia, every 6 months we have "clean up day", where you put all your junk out that you don’t want and it’s collected by council to be recycled. A friend once scored a pair of early Thiel's and a Threshold amp.
Many are audio products, TV’s, white goods, moblies ect that are faulty, and some worth grabbing if "upper end stuff" as it could be fixable, but rarely does one get the remote with it, sometimes these are fixed by the budding electronic tech and then advertised usually without the remote.

Cheers George
Its a well known phenomenon that remotes disappear into the same black hole that swallows up all the pens, cos you can never find one of them when you need one either.

On a more serious note Georges clean up day happens any and every day here in the USA.
Its pretty much accepted knowledge that anything that is put out at the end of a persons drive is fair game for anybody to rummage through.

I have put my fair share of items out and always constantly amazed at what people take!

Never yet found any decent audio but you just never know!
Yeah, I admit that I bought a Yamaha receiver at a garage sale directly across the street from me for $8. No remote of course. I was able to buy one on line at a decent price so the total cost was about $25. I’m not a surround guy but I still use that receiver with one of my t.v.’s.
I’m still diligent with my remotes though.
I just wish I could be the same about my phone.