Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****very few people realize what RAP is. It's not music***

You joshing me?? hahahahaha

Well based on your statement, I am one of the chosen few!

Cheers

BTW, saw a thingy on tv today about local RAPPERS in the Republic of Georgia. It's everywhere, it's everywhere!
Malaguena -- was on one of the first Classical records I owned. A 101 strings LP. One of my favorites. I am am now searching for an up to date recording , orchestral, of the great Spanish music. The CD of the 101 strings' 'Soul of Spain' sounds horrible.

Cheers
The subject of RAP makes my head hurt. I am not prepared to say that it is not music, but I do know that if it is music, it is not music that I can relate to nor want to relate to. It doesn't fit my, and most traditional, definitions of music (no melody/harmony), but it certainly occupies a place in current culture that more traditional musics have previously; obviously, particularly in the segement of our population that gave birth to it. I agree with much of Orpheus10's characterization of it in that it is a social statement, but it seems to me that it represents far more than a subculture; it is now pervasive in our culture. As Rok points out, it is everywhere. And how sad it is that the generation and ethnic group that supports it primarily are so clueless about the incredibly rich musical history that they are neglecting instead; much of it discussed in this thread.
Orpheus10, completely agree about Lecuona; some of the most beautiful.

An honest and well intended observation about a previous comment you made:

*****Am I the only person who finds it difficult to appreciate "solo" piano; where's the bass, where's the saxophone, where's the something besides a lone piano. No reflection on the music or the artist, but a personal observation of my perception of music; I need a combination of instruments.

While it's been nice to hear Kaper's music played on solo piano by Kaper, this listener requires a band in order for the music to project a wide range of emotions, and get me involved.*****

Glad you enjoy the solo piano by Lecuona.