Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
*****  Time and time again I have seen music posted on this thread that fits into a poster's favorite style and it seems that simply by that virtue alone that posted music gets automatically bumped up to "good" in that poster's mind when it is simply mediocre or worse.****

Some examples would be nice.

Cheers
*****   It really is true:  "there are only two kinds of music, good and bad".  *****

In the ear of the listener,  this is absolutely true.   And I think this is what the quote means.   There is no definitive 'list' of the good and bad.

Cheers

Rok, I forgot to include, "The Frogman's Reality", and you forgot to include "The Frogman's Kind of Music"; now I guess you want to know what I mean by that. Since I'm not quite sure, you'll have to discern for your self.

Frogman speaks "MUSIC", and that's a language I never took; hear tell they taught it at Julee Yard, that's that school in New York where them classical musicians go to. My huntin dog perks his ears up when Frogman speaks. Did I tell about Mutt? He's my huntin dog that I read to, and I always tell him, "This is what Frogman said", and his ears perk right up; when Frogman speaks, he listens.

Enjoy the music.
We are lucky to have The Frogman on this thread.  He is a professional Jazz and Classical Player.   And I do know that making a living as a Musician is not an easy thing to do.   Esp in a place like NYC, where the entire world is trying to make a career in music.. If he was not very, very good, he would not work.   No room there for 'pretty good'.

Therefore:  EVERYTHING The frogman says about music is true.  We can place more or less emphasis on things as pertains to our own taste in music, but what he says is Gospel.

If he says a group is out of tune, then, they are out of tune.  If you like them in spite of that, that's cool.   That's your right to like music that appeals to you.  We all have that right.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.  That's why I don't think the term 'reality' is appropriate.  Reality means 'real', which to me, means FACTUAL.  

We can't have differences of FACT over who is the best  Jazz Trumpet.  We can never know the Best.   We can just give our opinion.   AND, opinions is order to be valid, have to be in the realm of the possible.  You say Morgan, he says Hubbard, and I say Armstrong.  All are within the realm of the possible.  They are all valid opinions.

Naming some guy who plays locally in a club, is not a valid opinion.

And let's remember this is the season of:
Peace on Earth, Good Will towards all Aficionados

Cheers

Rok, Reality is the conjectured state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible.

The quality or state of being actual or true. The totality of all things possessing actuality, existence, or essence. That which exists objectively and in fact.

music is: the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity. b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.

Jazz is: American music developed especially from ragtime and blues and characterized by propulsive syncopated rhythms, polyphonic ensemble playing, varying degrees of improvisation, and often deliberate distortions of pitch and timbre.

Well Rok, there you have it.