Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

If there had not been a "Charles Parker" there would not be a John Coltrane; he started out imitating "Bird" note for note; now what does that say about who's boss?

The proof of the pudding lies in the listening; some can hear, some can not; jazz is a very special music where you have to listen deeply to a number of phases intently to hear what musicians in each phase are doing. If you came into jazz exclusively in the "Coltrane Era", you may not be able to hear all the things "Bird" did.

Enjoy the music.

When You hear the beauty of this tune that was made in 49, and sounds as current as if it was made yesterday, you know why "Bird" is idolized.

The way bird can riff over a slow easy going ballad is amazing; this tune is too beautiful for words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmRkZeGFONg

Enjoy the music.
O-10, I’m sorry, but you really don’t understand; worse, you don’t want to understand. I have no issue whatsoever with you needing to feel that you are correct; the shame is that you don’t understand why it’s not a question of which is better. Again, please go over what I have written and note that I have not, at any point, said that I would "place Trane over Bird". That is just the simplistic place where you always want to take the issue: "who was better". The question was and remains whether (according to you) Bird could have played everything that Trane played. The answer is a resounding NO. The fact that Bird came before and heavily influenced Trane (and every other modern player) does, in no way, preclude the fact that Trane took improvisation to a place that Bird never did. Again, the nature of the art form. That does not make Trane "better". To understand this idea is to understand jazz. Personally, I wouldn’t worry so much about the "aficionado" designation; so, feel free to take that title away from me if it makes you feel better.

(Funny, when I read that word in the context of music as earthy and soulful as jazz, it always evokes an image of Hugh Heffner with a pipe in his mouth and some scantily clad bunny lurking in the background 😘).

Now if you want fast and complex; here's some of "Birds" best bop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aMCviqO95k

Here's "Bird" on Savoy Vinyl. Like I said; some can hear; while others can not. Although I feel blessed to be able to hear and comprehend this beautiful music, I would feel even more blessed if you could hear it as well; I mean hear it with your inner ear that can comprehend the incomprehensible. This music is from the soul; that's different from soul music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl5P0cfiR2M&list=RDZl5P0cfiR2M#t=99

That is not to say that John Coltrane did not have a language of his own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clC6cgoh1sU&index=5&list=RDZl5P0cfiR2M

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, I feel that I got sucked into a silly argument, that I didn't want to be in, in the first place, and now you cop out.