Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Ghosthouse, they were all done live in various places, the banter is time significant; it's what people would have been chattering about at that time.  If memory serves me right, there was a dance called the "Philly Dog", that was danced to the sound of "Mercy Mercy Mercy",and since they were in LA , somebody yelled out "Do the LA Dog"

Enjoy the music.
Hello O!
That’s eggsackly the kind of stuff I like hearing about. So the speculation by that Amazon reviewer is wrong (i.e., it was done in studio before a live audience). At the same time, my estimation of the LP as a Capital Records "product" has gone up. Not only do they come up with a good theme (Zawinul compositions) but they get all but 3 tracks as live recordings. Best I can tell Mystified (Angel Face), One Man’s Dream & Ndo Lima are not live...at least, there’s no crowd noise or applause at the end of each. I think they did a pretty good job with how the tracks are sequenced too.

It ends, just as it opened, with a longer track:  Dr. Honoris Causa (dedicated to Herbie Hancock).  The version here is not with Zawinul but George Duke on keys.  Kind of a spacey mood like the opening 74 Miles Away. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aFWMnTvgBk&ab_channel=200FZ

That's a new one for me, although I can hear the kinship to 74 miles away. I'm not sure if I have Cannonball from 72; that has such a different sound, one that I haven't heard from him before. It most certainly sounds closely related to fusion, which was the thing at that time. The more I listen, the more I like it. Thanks for the tip I'll have to get it.

Here's what I was listening to; it's from Donald Byrd and Pepper Adams "Out of This World". Let me know if I'm repeating, because this has been posted before, I just don't know if you're aware of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNk3qtzNM_s

Enjoy the music.
Ghosthouse, interesting Cannonball clip from his later period. Now THERE’s something one doesn’t hear too often, Cannonball on soprano saxophone. Btw, Mercy Mercy was not recorded in a nightclub; it was, in fact, recorded live in Capitol’s LA studio with a live audience. As the story goes, Cannonball was friends with the owner of "The Club" in Chicago and he wanted to give his friend’s club some free publicity; a pretty well documented "hoax". The giveaway? It sounds like a studio. You would never be able to get sound that good, clear and well balanced, especially the audience sounds, in a nightclub.

Frogman, there is no way you would compare the "Sweethearts" to the bands at the top. Taking "all" things into consideration, I thought they were very good.

I suggested, with no hidden meaning, that there were many jazz fans in Agon that, "for various reasons", chose not to post on this thread; that we were not the only jazz fans on this forum. Your moniker, and some of your posts on other threads, were the giveaway. Nice comments and I hope you visit again soon; plenty of "food and drink" left at this party.

Strateahead apparently has a full schedule, and not enough free time to post often. I would also enjoy his posts more frequently, but I don't believe there is any problem with the thread that's preventing him from posting.

Whatever the reasons jazz fans choose not to post on this thread, I say "Good riddance". We've been through that a number of times and got nowhere.

Recent example: He will completely bash SRV to the extent that he feels he just KNOWS that BB King’s praise of SRV is bogus; yet, he will post clips (for God knows how many times) of a third rate swing big band "(Sweethearts"), or ridiculous scat singing, or, or. Truth is, he wants to be considered the "Oracle Of Texas". This has been going on for close to four years, but I still like him 😘. He’ll never admit it, but deep inside he knows better.

Frogman, that was downright insensitive; if that's what you felt, you could have stated it in a more diplomatic tone.

While your interest is the promotion and vitality of this thread; where has it gotten us?

You seem to think I should go to school in order to learn what you're talking about?

I'm spending time responding to this crap, when I should be enjoying good music.

Enjoy the music.