Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I said I was closing out my caravan contributions.  I lied.  I just couldn't resist adding "Desert Marauders" -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL877qkv_YM

The caravan music ended better than expected; especially when you consider the diverse people found in the Sahara; Bedouins, Tuareg and others who are hired to lead the caravan across the perilous shifting sands where desert marauders may be hiding behind every dune.

I found the desert music to be of sufficient variety, but always in sight of a sand dune; that keeps you in the Sahara and in the caravan, I could even smell the camels, and occasionally hear that obnoxious sound they make.

Since I didn't see one of those things that rides on top of a camel where a sheik could glide along with his honey in his arms, I don't have the part where Ella sings;

This is so exciting
You are so inviting
Resting in my arms
As I thrill to the magic charms

I don't have that part figured out, but this caravan came very close to my fantasy; even concluding with desert marauders, and I thank everyone for their contributions.

What a coincidence, I just added "Desert Marauders" to my play list the other night.
So very kind of you to give such a thoughtful and complete answer to my question Frogman , answer must be valuable to all on here not a pro musician .

It’s all pretty much what I thought , but is VERY helpful to know one is not
on the wrong track aka totally nuts. Something like if you studied hard for a final exam, took same and never got graded .
I had them as a 9 but I know I tend to get freaky on great talent previously unknown to me . To this simple listener to be so together at such a tempo will always be nothing short of a miracle .

What kind of headphones do all you You Tube link addicts use to listen to them ?
I ’m using Sennheiser HD 545 because the AQ Dragonfly you drove me to buy to bypass my "puter soundcard with won’t really drive my Senn 650 or AKG 701 very well . 545 does OK though .