Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The 10 best live jazz albums to own on vinyl?  Well, that's the opinion of this author.  So, what do you think?

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/10-best-live-jazz-albums-vinyl/

I have all of them except the Sonny Rollins and Keith Jarrett, though not all on vinyl.  I do enjoy all the others -- but I find it impossible to pick out 10 for a challenge such as this.  There are just too many variables, including my mood at the time of listening. ;^)  

However for one easy example, I think I'd need to include the "Dave Brubeck Quartet At Carnegie Hall" which would be my pick over all his other recordings if I could have only one, including the ever-recommended "Take Five", with the bonus of it being a live jazz album qualifier.

My List, if it has to be live,  without tooooo much thought.

Compared To What -- Les McCann & Eddie Harris

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play the Blues

Mingus At Antibes

Ellington At Newport

Oscar Peterson Live At The Blue Note

Wes Montgomery and   Wynton Kelly Smokin' at the Half Note

That's all you need.   No Filler.  Every Track is great.

Cheers

Rok, Audiogon is very unstable lately. My hope is there fixing something, but my feeling is its being held together by duct tape and bailing wire.