Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Hi jazzbos, I've remained on the sidelines during discussions of "underrated" musicians for a couple of reasons.  I'm unclear what constitutes being underrated.  Is it based on record sales, jazz polls won, number of times they made the cover of Time magazine, or anyone's individual perspective?  And is it their musicianship, how many groups they've lead, how many compositions they've written which were then covered by others, or how much their technic influenced other players?  Curious minds want to know. ;^)

However I now come out onto the playing field, mainly because of a concert experience last evening here in San Diego.  The Mingus Dynasty performed a tribute to the "Tijuana Moods" album.  BTW, they also performed the night before in Tijuana and I heard it was an over-flow crowd success.

Anyway, frog may know some or all of the musicians since they are based in NYC.  And they all have recording experience other than with Mingus Dynasty, so others of you may know some of them too.  But they were all unknown to me.  The band:
  Wayne Escoffery - tenor sax
  Brandon Wright - alto sax
  Alex Sipiagin - trumpet
  Frank Ku-umba Lacy - trombone
  Theo Hill - piano
  Boris Kozlov - bass
  Adam Cruz - drums

I found the individual musicians to be either very good or outstanding.  Yet, as stated, I'm not familiar with any of them.  So does that suggest any or all are underrated?  I'm not sure.

Rok, 'Twixt optimist and pessimist
The difference is droll...
The optimist sees the doughnut;
The pessimist sees the hole.