Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks o10, I'm pleased it reached you.  When I reread it before posting I almost deleted it, thinking it might sound too self-centered.  But then I thought, hey, I'm only offering my personal perspective.  We all have those.

I have some Szabo but I don't remember that one.  I need to check.  My collection exceeds the shelving space in my living room so more records are stored in the garage, and not all are easy to get to.

I know exactly what you mean by not enough space.

For years, I went shopping with a friend who was always trying to save money. He alerted me to every record sale, and we went shopping. The problem with sales is that the temptation to buy "unknowns" is too great because the price is right. Most of the time I should have left the unknown remain unknown.

Not until recently did I discover I had accumulated records I never play because I recognize the duds on sight. Nobody likes to throw away records, but once I realized they were simply occupying space, I bit the bullet and found an empty trash can. (you may not have that problem)

Today was a good day, I have been enjoying the fruits of my labors; listening to the vinyl from the hard drive playback (can't tell it from dropping the needle in the groove, but I had a lot of help getting things this way) When getting up and down is no problem, I know dropping the needle in the groove is more fun, but under the circumstances, I don't miss it.

It's a real groove for me to listen to one killer after another without getting up.

I thought about that upgrade thing you mentioned; they are always a lot more work than you anticipated, plus, after all these years of "upgrading" our rigs sound pretty decent.

Enjoy the fruits of your labors.
On life and on our time in life...

A wise man once said: “Books have a unique way of stopping time in a particular moment by saying: Let’s not forget this.”

I guess the music does the same...

Alice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUMuDWDVd20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNG7tmIQx4

Mary-jo, you have exquisite taste. Ecstasy was being in a living room with a number of people who appreciated that music, at about the time it came out. Nothing could be heard but the music; the "vibe" was tangible, we were all interconnected, it was magical.

It was a different world then; only those who experienced the magic of that time know what I'm talking about, but the magic was in Atlanta, it was in Chicago, it was in LA; it was all over.

Wonderful memories of people I knew at that time give me a warm feeling.