Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

The music I posted didn't get rave reviews from this crowd. To be perfectly honest, it was almost work just listening to it; but it was highly rated by "Stereophile" and it was quite current, and it was labeled jazz. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Here is some music I down loaded to my hard drive; that means I like it, and I'll be listening to it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b04mJhk2OWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRKCnCiutTg

That second tune sounds like "Jan Hammer" was involved in this project; let's see if we can find any music by him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UmOY6ek_Y4

Guess what? You got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQDU-2qMre0
I am not sure is this going to be the answer you are hoping to hear, but I have listened the samples and all the music is quite ’nice’....
....in a way that makes me think ’what a fine product’ ...but it lacks excitment, for me....or a sound of some particular tone or a note, that would make you check who is playing some instrument....

Also, I would be very much interested in hearing old jazz music produced with today’s tecnical standards, because I think that there is also something in a way that old recordings sound, that perhaps might have some appeal or at least sometimes, ’click’ of identification in ’our’ heads.
Its pitty that even with a Sacd or analog and with good equipment, lots of spatial ’information’ of an old music stays hidden,in a way....

"Sound Generation"     comes to mind.   At least none of the commentators called it Jazz.

Cheers

For those who may be critical of "old" recordings and their technical approach, have you ever wondered why in particular the earlier Blue Note LPs command so much among used records?  You might answer "it's the artists", but many of those were reissued so are available in both newer analog or digital format.  

Just a quick review identifies one thing fans look for is engineering by Rudy Van Gelder.  RVG in the runout is gold!  The Contemporary issues engineered by Roy DuNann are similarly sought after.  These examples relate to miking (minimal) and general recording techniques.  Then there are preferences for tubed recording components verses solid state, and analog masters versus digital.  Also the quality of vinyl utilized during the '50s and '60s was superior to what was available after the oil embargo in the very early '70s, after which "recycled" vinyl was utilized, even by major labels.

Now admittedly many early stereo recordings were guilty of "a hole in the middle" of the soundstage, the result of panning emphasis to the left and right channels to highlight the stereo effect.  But a mono or blend control on your preamp could minimize that.

Other than the above factors, more "modern" recordings tend to mic individual musicians and often "isolate" them with sound panels in the studio.  A worse case is when other musicians are added from new tracks recorded at another place and even time.  What sort of musical cohesion can result from that?  The net result becomes a function of the mixing engineer, not the musicians themselves.

For myself, there are only two issues with older recordings, and I'm talking about those from the '50s and '60s, not earlier.  One is condition of an individual record - was it handled properly and not played excessively?  The other can be cost - just look at asking prices for some of those RVG Blue Note, particularly the earlier "deep groove" versions. 

You may not agree, but at least understand why some of us are not all that excited about "new" recording techniques.
pryso, I do agree; completely.  I think that we are often seduced by the “ear-candy” quality of “perfectionist” recordings to the extent that we overlook or forget a basic truth:  less is more when it comes to the recording of music.  Of course, there are exceptions to this, but the inescapable fact is that the more processing and “stuff” that is used during the recording process the more that is lost of the music in a very fundamental way that is very difficult to put into words; it’s about the human element in music making.  For me, that is the reason that there is something very truthful about those old recordings.  The path from the musicians’ instrument to the recording device is very direct.  That is also the reason that so many feel (myself included) that a good analog recording still beats the pants off a good digital one.  Additionally, “old school” engineers like RVG and some before him relied on their ears much more than engineers today and they prioritized the preservation of the sound as the musician made it and not as they thought it should be.  

Your clip of the Louis Armstrong concert is a good example of this.  First, I thought the playing was fantastic all the way around.  Louis was Louis; great as always.  Barney Bigard sounded awesome and it was a good reminder for me of just how great he was.  It was interesting hearing Louis sing without as much gravel in his voice as he did in later years.  Overall, I thought the clip was a gem.  Sound wise I thought it served the music extremely well and it is little details like the horns playing background figures without their own mics, but simply being picked up by the soloist’s mic and sounding appropriately “in the background” that give recordings like that a sense of honesty that I love.  When an overzealous engineer starts sticking mics in front of every horn and messing with balances is when the music gets screwed up.  Thanks for a great clip.

Thanks, mary_jo also for a great clip.  One of the classic pairings in jazz Ella and Louis.  Perfection; like really tart raspberry sauce and creamy vanilla ice cream.

**** You can't play anything on a horn that Louis hasn't played" ****

Well, a bit of hyperbole to be sure, but in a way goes to the issue of “truth” in music and is an expression of the kind of respect  that players have for his musicianship.  Obviously, Louis’ style, by definition, means that, in spite of the fact that he was a really great trumpet player, there was a lot done on the trumpet in later years that he never did.  However, what musicians mean when they say that is that as far as core musical considerations like incredibly “in the pocket” sense of rhythm and ability to manipulate it and his way of “telling a story” with music no one has done it better. 
Amazing and important musician.