Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

If you have to put an adjective in front or behind the word ’Jazz’, there might be a problem. If it’s "Jazz Blues Fusion", you KNOW there is a problem.

I speak from experience. Traditionalist are not born, they are created by personal experience. Believe it or not, I paid good / real money for the CD "Corky Siegel Plays the Blues". I was deceived by the word ’blues’.

I also paid for the Jean Rampal LP.

You would be surprised at the junk on my shelves as a result of trying to be ’progressive’, or ’avant-garde’.

We don’t go to the MET to hear the "American" Tosca. We go to hear the Opera ’Tosca’, in Italian!  Same with Jazz. I don’t understand what the term ’Italian Jazz’ means. Is there a polish Jazz? Or heaven forbid, Croatian Jazz?

Jazz is Jazz. And it’s a lot more than just improvised music. And it’s American.

Cheers

Well, now I know what the "traditionalists" think...at least one of them.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts, Rok,  Can't say I'm surprised.  Can't say I agree entirely.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter.  I will still enjoy the Meltemi recording whatever music type it's considered.  Although I continue to think it IS jazz.  Jazz written and recorded by Italian musicians in Italy.  That's all I meant by "Italian Jazz".  I do readily  admit Mayall's Jazz Blues Fusion doesn't seem all that "jazzy" to me.  I only brought that one up because Blue Mitchell is on it.  

This whole "It's Jazz/It's NOT Jazz" discussion has been done to death in this thread.  Much rather talk about the music.  For starters what do you like or not like about that Meltemi recording?  What about it does or doesn't fit Wynton's view (or yours) of jazz??  Myself, I'm now curious about that Corky Siegel or Jean Rampal.  What's so bad about 'em? (although on the latter, I got a feeling I will probably feel the same way were I to hear it).

@ghosthouse 

In my haste to rant, I failed to mention that I found the Alboran Trio piece to be enjoyable to my ears.  I don't know if they have a track record or not, because I have never heard of them.   And you are correct in saying they were Italians playing Jazz in Italy.   I guess there is bound to reflect Italian sensibilities in the music.   However, The Frogman's first Law will always  apply.   The Marketplace is brutal.

I hope your curiosity concerning Rampal and Siegel does not lead you to  spend money to satisfy it.  My excuse was that  we didn't have you-tube at that time.

The Mayall piece was run of the mill.  In Blues, it's the legitimacy of the singer and the lyrics.   That's the hardest part for the Rockers to get.

Cheers

Very interesting article. WM is certainly articulate but assuming Paolo, Dino and Gigi are unaware of this history, does it disqualify what they create from being jazz? I am taking liberties with WM’s position. A very good article. WM is impressive.

http://wyntonmarsalis.org/news/entry/forgetting-the-roots-of-jazz-is-forgetting-the-history-of-race-...

Hey Rok...just saw your reply.  Don't worry...I won't spend money on those 2 recordings you mention but will try to find the Corky Siegal on Spotify etc..  I'm slightly familiar with Rampal.  No interest in greater familiarity.  That Meltemi is the debut by Alboran Trio.  Their 2nd is Near Gale...also favorably reviewed in All About Jazz.  Glad you found it enjoyable (jazz or not!).