Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

@ghosthouse 

In my haste to rant, I failed to mention that I found the Alboran Trio piece to be enjoyable to my ears.  I don't know if they have a track record or not, because I have never heard of them.   And you are correct in saying they were Italians playing Jazz in Italy.   I guess there is bound to reflect Italian sensibilities in the music.   However, The Frogman's first Law will always  apply.   The Marketplace is brutal.

I hope your curiosity concerning Rampal and Siegel does not lead you to  spend money to satisfy it.  My excuse was that  we didn't have you-tube at that time.

The Mayall piece was run of the mill.  In Blues, it's the legitimacy of the singer and the lyrics.   That's the hardest part for the Rockers to get.

Cheers

Very interesting article. WM is certainly articulate but assuming Paolo, Dino and Gigi are unaware of this history, does it disqualify what they create from being jazz? I am taking liberties with WM’s position. A very good article. WM is impressive.

http://wyntonmarsalis.org/news/entry/forgetting-the-roots-of-jazz-is-forgetting-the-history-of-race-...

Hey Rok...just saw your reply.  Don't worry...I won't spend money on those 2 recordings you mention but will try to find the Corky Siegal on Spotify etc..  I'm slightly familiar with Rampal.  No interest in greater familiarity.  That Meltemi is the debut by Alboran Trio.  Their 2nd is Near Gale...also favorably reviewed in All About Jazz.  Glad you found it enjoyable (jazz or not!).

Great article- ghosthouse
WM is a world-class Jazz musician.
Happy Listening!

Everyone knows that Wynton is my main man.   However, although he is a great Jazz teacher, arranger, player and keeper of the faith,   a historian, he is not.  He shows a shallow Hollywood - like vision of slavery.

What's up with this drum ban stuff?   I'll tell you.   It's a myth, pushed by black people,  to explain the lack of slave rebellions in this country.   Nate Turner being the more obvious exception.   He went on rampage and killed 60 or so white folks, but drums had nothing to do with it. 

I.E.  if we could have communicated with each other, we would have fought and won our freedom.  BS of course.

The real reason is, they had enough sense to know that they were in a better place than the place they came from.  And you can say the same about all the white groups in this country.   New York was a lot better than York.   And so on.....

Ask yourself this question:  What, in practice, was the real difference between black slaves and white sharecroppers in the deep south.  What's the real difference between slaves picking cotton and whites mining coal in KY and WV?    Where, as the Tennessee Ernie Ford song says,"I owe my soul to the company store.  i.e., when payday came, I owed, more than I had earned.

The difference?  One group were slaves by law.   The others were not, by law.

BTW, both groups created great music.   Louis Armstrong once said, "if there had not been segregation in New Orleans, there would be no Jazz."  All the black guys would have been in integrated bands playing Sousa.    Ain't it the truth.

Cheers