Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
frog, as I mentioned, I have "Mingus" on LP so not so easy to skip past the party tape inserts.  That is one advantage with CDs. ;^)

Also, if there was only one such interval it would be easier to tolerate.  For all that, I like the album for the music and the tribute to Mingus.

After the musician has learned all that is required, and mastered his instrument, he must then find some music worthy of his knowledge and skills.

In the jazz idiom, music is derived from human relations and expressions; in other words the society in which we live provides the inspiration for the music; without this, where does the musician go for his music. Does he look inside his head? Without additional external stimuli and action, he won't find much material. In all generations, the society at large provided the inspiration for the music; the music is a reflection of a particular society, it is nothing more than a mirror.

I pose this question, "Can anyone present music that is a reflection of today's society?"
It’s all around us. Jazz is not the only genre nor idiom that reflects the time of its creation (“today’s society and human relations”). All art does this to one degree or another and what ultimately determines how good the art is is how good a job it does of reflecting this. What can’t be taken out of the mix is how WE ourselves (the listeners, in this case) fit into today’s society or how comfortable we each are with the changing times. If anyone of us finds the societal moves away from “old school” values to only be a negative and without any redeeming value (iow, the type of person who believes that society today and it’s values is inherently worse than in the past) then that is the type of individual who is more prone to not like or appreciate art that reflects the current society regardless of that art’s ultimate quality as defined by criteria that are not only subjective, but also objective. As I have argued many times here every generation or society in time has created great art (jazz, as concerns this thread). I’ll post some examples shortly.

Good topic, O-10.

Wpryso

"A Taste of Honey". This brings back memories of my first exposure to jazz. I had to post this cut from an album my parents bought when I was  a young kid. I couldn't get enough of the tune or the sexy cover photo. BTW  your  Woody Herman clip is a  much better version.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NC38-qqiVgg

I did miss your version of "Time After Time" on the 1st post. I found a Chet Baker version I like better. Miles version seems to have a bit of a reggae beat to it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ybMVHeJZ7w

That video of Sarah Vaughn is incredible. She has great range with her voice and also emotional expression. Her nickname "The Divine One" really fits. sublime. I am just getting into singers for about a year or so and don't have anything by her. I would appreciate if members can suggest albums /cd's of hers with good sound  where she is at the top of her game . 

Since it is assumed we are all "jazz aficionados"; we have the right to reject the music for whatever reason we choose.

While others who have been deemed objective experts can qualify the music, as fans and consumers of this music, it's only necessary that we purchase it if we like it.

As OP of this jazz thread maybe I have more responsibility than others, but I have always shared that responsibility as to what is "good jazz" and we have come to a unanimous conclusion.

While I have my opinions in regard to specific cuts on an album, as well as the album itself; they have never been too far outside prevailing views of other members of this forum.

If anyone of us finds the societal moves away from “old school” values to only be a negative and without any redeeming value (iow, the type of person who believes that society today and it’s values is inherently worse than in the past) then that is the type of individual who is more prone to not like or appreciate art that reflects the current society regardless of that art’s ultimate quality as defined by criteria that are not only subjective, but also objective.

That is a very difficult paragraph to interpret, but I would never accept anything just because it's new.

Back to the original question, "Can anyone present jazz, or any music that is a reflection of this society"?