Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

*****I know Rok is about to explode by now as a result of our choice in music.*****

Nah, I have gotten used to this assault upon real Jazz.  It's been going on for over 5 years now.

*****Wait a minute, did I just see a Brubeck video with both Body and Soul?*****

No, those were pigs you saw flying.

Cheers

According to Joshua Redman, what people have called jazz over the years has changed so much. I definitely don't define jazz as a style or set of styles, because the stylistic components of it will always be changing. I don't know whether you agree Joe (Joe Lovano) but there are certain things like swing, that are crucial components of jazz and almost anything I would call jazz has something of that. The improvisational attitude, bringing your life experienceto the music, that is the key thing, not the stylistic elements.

What Joshua said sounds pretty good to me, but I'm not in the defining business, I'm a listener, and when I listen to current music called jazz, it just don't cut it. No longer am I going to listen and try to make sense out of it, I don't have that much time. While there are exceptions to that, they are too few and far in between for me to bother.

Recently, almost every day, someone is posting old jazz that's new to me, and it sounds like my kind of music; consequently, I am not going to waste another minute or peso investing in "new jazz", case closed.

Rok, this Bud is for you. As you know, I'm not a true blue Blues fan, but this guy caught my attention today; "Johnny Guitar Watson"; although I've heard the name before, this is the first time I listened to his music, and I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFA9dP967ts

It's reminiscent of "Al Green".
o10, you were apparently quoting Redman, but I don't agree with "there are certain things like swing, that are crucial components of jazz".  When a performance swings that can be enjoyable and even stimulating.  But in my opinion that is not essential to being considered jazz.  I've always used a measure of a sense of improvisation.  That's one reason I enjoy solo or small group more than big band, there's more room for improvisation.  Here's an example of something that doesn't "swing" but clearly has an expression of jazz in my perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2GgV34qIg

Others may agree or disagree, I don't mind.