Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Today's Listen:

Wynton Marsalis -- UNITED WE SWING

The Chief of Jazz Police laying down the Jazz Law.  Don't like it, git outta Jazz before sundown!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1Y3I1_ci0  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsjT2SyWemg  

I don't own this one yet.  It's in my cart at Amazon.

Cheers

orpheus10,

Brazilian music of all kinds definitely has African roots. The city of Salvador, in the province of Bahia, was the original capital of Brazil as it was here that the first coastal trading hub into the interior of Brazil was constructed after Pedro Álvares Cabral discovered the continent of South America and claimed it for Portugal. Although no longer the capital of Brazil, Salvador Bahia (that is the proper way to say it - the city then the province), is still an important city there and my favorite to visit.

I have been to Brazil a dozen times. Rio 3 times and Savador, Bahia 10. Rio and Salvador Bahia is like comparing apples to oranges. In Salvador Bahia the population is a 50/50 mix of black people and white/mixed. Since slaves were bought and sold in Salvador Bahia they settled there after slavery was abolished. The many cultures of Africa still exist in the city and province from food to music. A favorite dish of mine, called Moquecca, is available in just about every restaurant. Its made with Dende (palm leaf) oil. There is also a unique religion that exists there that's kind of a mix with Christian and African orgins.

frogman,

You are right about easily recognizing Jeff Beck with just a few notes. I mentioned that upthread. I can also recognize Jimi with the same quickness. McLaughlin, as you said, is not so easily discernable.

Alex, believe it or not, where that photograph was tken was probably one of the safest places in Chicago to observe the skyline and discuss the meaning of life with a friend over a bottle of wine.

"Misty night" The King Flemming Trio, is a must have but very little is available. I will look into an LP for $29.

Thank you.