Jeff Rowlands Amp and Dac vs. VAC amp and DAC

Hello, I am new to this forum but I have a question. I am trying to pair an amp + DAC with my Wilson Sabrinas. I have listened to Jeff Rowlands integrated with the Aeris DAC. And the VAC Sigma integrated with the Aeris DAC. Price is a factor and so is space. Does the 625 need a pre-amp? Any suggestions or thoughts? 
rinpoche
Guido, wow, that is amazing. Okay. I have a list now. I see you like the Jeff Rowland equipment. So do I.

Mapman asked if there was one if there were any systems I would not be happy with from among the ones I have heard. To be honest, this is a great question too. I don't think I want to live with the PS Audio (I would always be thinking I could do better), or the ARC (though can't say why exactly — maybe it tries to do too many things all at once: amp, preamp, DAC, headphone amp). The Air Tight the shop had would not be sufficient to drive the Wilsons and they only bring in amps on order so that ruled that out. So that brings me back to the JR and VAC, where all of this started. If the JR and VAC Sigma were the only amps to choose from, I think I would go with the JR for ease of use and the 'weight' behind the sound (if that makes sense). The Sigma is really lovely, and though I haven't heard it with the (controversial) Wilson's, it lacks something by comparison. That is why I want to wait and hear the 200 IQ. And see if this is better. But JR for many reasons, some practical, is winning so far. 

I did come across an amp that looks lovely though there is no dealer where I live. It is called Einstein. I have no idea about price or anything else, but it has a nice look to it. And since I don't have a 'woman-cave' -- the equipment is right in the main living space, aesthetics are also important. JR wins hands down over VAC on this one -- though those little orange glowy tubes are nice to look at!!!

I will listen to the Dvorak pieces. Very exciting. 

Hi again rinpoche? Are you in Canada? And is your dealer Angie Lisi from American Sound? If this were the case, please say hi to Angie from me... He was singly responsible for making me discover the magic of the Rowland sound in 1998.

Concerning Einstein, I heard their products a few times at some length, but never managed to like them much. Regretably, the word "rough" seemed to apply more often than not... With my test tracks, Einstein never reached terribly close to the top of the musical heap, and tended to blow tubes on sharp . Treble intermodulation was too easily present... On the other hand, the brand might have improved since a couple of years ago.

I am using a biwire set of Elrod Gold Statement speaker cables between my VAC Phi 200 and a pair of TAD CR-1's.  I will admit they are stupid expensive, but they improved my system sound in ways that I appreciate enough.  Before that I was using a true biwire of Clear Day Double Shotgun cables, which I think are fantastic cables, in general, and crazy good for the money, IME.

With Rowland gear, Elrod wires would not be my first choice.... In my system, Elrod PCs tended to filter the treble and swell the mid bass.

Brands of wire products with which I have had amazing results are Shunyata, Nordost Valhalla II, and High Fidelity Cables (HFC) made by Rick Schultz in Dallas.

G.

Pieces of a Dream - I Feel Like Singing (smooth jazz) Female vocal and instruments
Beach Boys - In My Room (for male vocals)
Eric Clapton (26 nights) Edge of Darkness (tune he plays with orchestra)
Anita Baker - No One in the World - female vocals