KEF Ls50 wireless vs passive

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has had a direct comparison with the passive ls50 speakers and the active ones.  I only ask because a dealer near me only has the passive ones and the amp they have it paired with (Sony TA-A1ES) is $2k alone.  ( I did love the combo but if I could save the cash and go with the actives I would). From what I have read people seem to really speak highly of the performance of the actives.  I am curious as to how the actives might sound in comparison to the demo at my dealer with the Sony.  Also, I noticed the actives only come with a one year manufacturer warranty which kind of scares me since all that hardware is packed into such a small enclosure I feel that the risk of failure would be rather high. But if anyone has any feedback I would love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

mgrec42
The actives put out more bass which is a big deal if you aren't using a sub. Yeah warranty is rough at 12 months. I don't expect them to hold their value like a passive would. 
Active would be the way to go with these neat little speakers,but Of course you wouldn't be able to change their sound with diff. amps.

Warranty is kinda short as mentioned.

I don't know about their resale value either way though.

Kenny.
I think the powered models are intended to be used as near field monitors fed signal from a mixing board or something of the sort. I don't think they're supposed to be used as an alternative to bookshelves on the cheap. 
We sell both, here is the way you should look at it:

1: Active vs Passive sound quality, the Actives actually do sound better, more open, impressive clarity.

2: Future up-gradability,  Passive setup totally open as you can switch up to different electronics, and even replace the LS 50 with the much better R 500 floor standers, active, no up-grade path.

3: App, the KEF app really is primitive they finally got Tidal, vs an NAD D368 with blue sound streaming module at $1200 with a stunning app and part of an entire echo system.

So there you have it price favors the active, flexibility favors the passive, the NAD combo $1200 amp +$1500 speakers  plus cables would be $3,000.00 vs the actives at $2200. 

If this is going to be a secondary system get the passives if you are building a main system go with the passive option.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
I find the passive LS50s very revealing of what's driving them.  They do reward fine amplification.

db