Kevin gets the

Both Stereophile and Absolute Sound review Prima Luna's integrated at the same time...did Kevin threaten to pull his full page ads or else? Don't get me wrong, I have purchased many a tube etc. from Kevin over the years, and he has always been courteous and quite helpful... But this is a perfect example how the world has always worked , and as much as the Internet makes me crazy at times I'm grateful for the free exchange of opinions we still have on sites like Audiogon etc.
goldenear1948
Upscale Audio is no longer a Cary Audio dealer, though they do still have some closeout units in which the warranty is being honored. I purchased one of these a few months back. I think that Kevin dropped Cary when Cary decided to start selling direct, though I cannot say for sure how that marriage broke up.

I bought a SLP-98 from Kevin, just as Wescoman (Steve) did, but my unit has the internal phono stage (P) and has performed flawlessly so far. I have heard a lot of scary rumors about Cary customer service, but I know of other high end companies that I can attest to having poor service records.

It does appear as though Cary is headed downstream since Dennis Had's departure. They appear to be headed for the less expensive end of the high end spectrum, which is unusual as I watch the rest of the high end brands spiral ridiculously into the upper economic stratosphere. Most American companies seem to be racing to the upper price levels, meanwhile Cary seems to be wanting to go toe-to-toe with the Chinese market (Jolida, PrimaLuna, etc.) It will be interesting to see how this turns out for them.
As an FYI, Cary only sells direct into markets where there are no dealers.

I do not see Cary headed downstream at all. Quite the opposite actually. Same great products as in the past (SLP98, SLP05, 805, 211, 120s, etc) with new digital models forthcoming (2 new DACS and a CD player). Also new models to compete on the "lower end" of the range with the AES gear (which is also built in the US).

***Cary dealer disclaimer***
Kevin was a complete gentleman with me, an under informed buyer who ended up returning two items and not making him any money. He was helpful in explaining tube concepts, and a professional about the business aspect. I was really impressed, and have wanted to say as much, and this would be that opportunity. He is TOP notch.

Chris Meserve
Kevin rocks and so do my Primaluna monoblocks and NOS tubes. Straight up, no reservations. Besides being one of the few dealers that really understands tube electronics, he has exceeded my expectations with every purchase. He gives me sage advice on whether my hard earned dollars will be spent making truly audible differences and doesn't just move product. Lately I've been bugging him to sell me a recently released product and he has me on hold...until he has a chance to give it a good listen and his stamp of approval. And, he totally supports his local dealers, ensuring multiple layers of support for customers.

Yes sometimes he is busy and has to call you back, and always does in a timely manner. No he doesn't sell new equipment at used prices, and he shouldn't. Anyone who doesn't think Kevin is the coolest cat in home audio should check their egos at the door and start looking at their own manners.
"It does appear as though Cary is headed downstream since Dennis Had's departure."

I was agree with this. Most of the newer products definitely have that "made outside the USA" feel to them, and not in a good way.

I've listened to a few of them and was not impressed. I still think the SLP-05 is one of the best tube preamps of all-time however, so I'm not a Cary hater, in fact I owned one for several happy years.
More to discover