lafayette 9090 or Sansui 4000

I have these 2 receivers available in my area for sale. I'm torn between the 2. I'm looking for a warmer sound and I believe the Sansui may deliver in that department a little better but the Lafayette has more power and my Polk SDA 2's need power to perform at their peak. I sometimes run my Bozaks at the same time so even more power is needed. I'm not an audiofile. Please help me out!
raisedonrock

Showing 3 responses by rar1

What would make me hesitate is that these receivers are 30 years + old ... Lafayette when out of business when I was in college and I am 57 years old now. Receivers this old will need some type of overhaul at some point ... power supplies, capacitors, etc. just fail. Not sure if your budget is prepared for this eventuality.

Rich
Why not go new? For $350 you can get something like the Yamaha R-S500 . 40 year old anythings are trouble unless you are handy or have a good techie in your neighborhood.
At the $350 - $400 new range, there is only such much difference between products. Since your concern is primarily on a warmer than neutral overall system sound, then just make sure that you buy from a place where you can return something if you don't like it.

I owned a HK 3370 about 10 years ago and liked the receiver a lot. It was pleasing sounding. It was not hifi as described by the stereo magazines, but I used it everyday and enjoyed it. It was built only so so and shorted out when the two speakers wires touched when I was shifting the unit on a shelf.

If you do not need the tuner portion of a receiver, you can also try Emotiva amplifiers . They offer two amplifiers in the $200 range, which may be of interest to you.

Rich