maggie 1.6qr

I just purchased a mint set of maggie 1.6qr speakers and am shocked at how good they sound! I am replacing a dynaco st70/ quad 11L setup with the maggies and a bryston 3bst amp. The preamp is a classe dr6.

I am currently set up in a small 10x11 room and jammed in way too tight there. I am moving into a larger room 14x16 and it will be a dedicated 2 channel/ a/v room.

The maggies will be placed about 4.5-5 feet from the rear wall, and about 2.5 feet from the side walls. My seating position will be around 7-8 feet back. With the speakers placed about 5 feet apart, will this distance on seating position be about right or should I be closer?

I know about the cardas method and magnepans setup instructions, but I am looking for real maggie user input and how you set yours up. And do you suggest tweeter panels in or out?

Thanks,Dave (New happy maggie owner!!!)
dav65mus
Just out of curiosity, tell us about the sound in the small room. I have a 10.5 x 18 well treated foot room and want to try the 1.6's in their
chances are it will be best tweeters OUT.
Experiment with where the speakers 'cross'.....in front of you, AT you, or even behind you. You might notice the speakers are a little bright when aimed directly at you and that imagining changes as the toe changes.
Experiment is best, once you have the basic setup.
Once you are happy, leave it alone for a couple days before any Small change.
Adjusting wall spacing helps, too. Start at say......3 feet and come out in 2 inch measures.
Keep track of what you do, even if you have to take notes.
There will be one sweet spot which is obviously best.
My room is quite a bit different and employs the 20.1s so I am not well qualified to comment on your situation other than to say that I agree with Magfan that it seems to be best with the tweeters on the outside. I tried it both ways and prefered them on the outside.

Also, the advice to make SMALL changes at a time is good advice.
Experiment and put them were they sound best to you.Everyone hears differently and after all,you are the one that has to live with them.Just a thought.Enjoy.
Should be fine. Would try them a little farther appart too. I have found that I like Magnepans a little farther appart with some toe in. Sound stage was a little more focused with the toe in.

Anyway to each there own.