Moerch UP-4 v. Audio Technica AT1100 tone arms

Please qualify and/or quantify the audio performance difference between the two subject arms.  I would use only the green dot/lowest mass UP-4 wand.  

Cartridge is high compliance and high-moderate mass, plus I prefer higher resonance frequency than most vinyl fans.  (Please limit replies to the two arms in the title.)

I own an AT 1100.

The rest of the system outperforms either of the subject arms.  TT comprises all new 1.5" thick solid alloy custom plinth w/the following parts from an Empire 208: motor, modified platter, bearing, and solenoid switch, over 70# total.

Thanks!        
128x128spkrplus

Showing 1 response by spkrplus

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts!  

I had a chance to get a UP-4 as an upgrade from the AT1100, and suddenly it occurred to me that the AT1100 may outperform the UP-4 (I had a UP-4 decades ago and remember little about it).     

I have two AT1100 wands.  One shall be kept stock for use with a cartridge requiring low arm mass.  The other wand I plan to use with a mono MC that likely requires higher than stock mass. 

Do you see any problem adding mass to one of the AT1100 wands?  I am not sure what is considered the best method to add mass.  I presume clay of some type is good to damp resonance.  Your thoughts welcome!

Best,
J.