Monitor Audio Pl 300ii vs. KEF Reference 5

I own the KEF Reference 5s.  I borrowed the Monitor Audio Pl300 ii speakers for comparison, which is still under way.  Thoughts so far:  Both are good speakers.  The KEFs provide a lot of detail.  Listening to classical music, you can hear orchestral instruments and sections pretty clearly.  Background and counter melodies can be identified. Piano music is very realistic.  The MAs do not provide as much instrumental detail but they do have a more mellow, deeper, broader sound.  Which is better is really a matter of personal choice.  As I said, I’m still listening so these are some quick preliminary reactions.  More later.  
fast

Showing 7 responses by ricred1

Never mind bo. You say the same things over and over and over and over and over again. 
bo1972,

Please don't start, because with all of your hyperbole the conversation becomes about you. That being said, there are many people that feel Monitor Audio series II are too laid back and as a result aren't as detailed as some would like. 
Good speakers can sound drastically different based on the room and components that are connected to them. I keep hearing that Monitor Audio speakers have no detail and/or lack resolution, but I submit they are neutral and really reflect what’s connected to them and the recording. Yes, there are speakers that are more "detailed" and some have a preference for speakers with a lot of detail. I’ve owned Wilson Audio, Aerial, Klipsch, Revel, Artemis, and a couple more speakers. I recently listened to KEF Blades 2s, Magico A3s, Magico S3 IIs, and Paradigm Persona 7Fs. All of the aforementioned speakers sound really good to me, but I wouldn’t sell my Monitor Audio PL500 IIs for them. I've tried to build a system based on my speakers and I know I would have to change components if a purchased one of the others speakers. At this point I'm not willing to change my entire system for new speakers. My PL500 aren’t better, they just present details differently. What bothers me more and more on Audiogon is when individuals disparage manufacturers. I don’t have to prefer speaker or component XYZ, but I shouldn’t disparage the manufacture. Unless you listen to someone’s "system", you have no clue of how it sounds. I’m not here to make anyone like Monitor Audio. I’m simply saying, THERE ARE NO ABSOLUTES IN AUDIO, ONLY PREFERENCES.
randyhat,
You can't hold Monitor Audio accountable for Bo. If I used your criteria, " Do you realize that your participation in this discussion has driven away potential Monitor Audio customers ", I wouldn't purchase several products. There are Audiogon members that do the same as Bo with other speakers. 
d2girls,
" If you read between the lines he's also pretty much insulting everyone here." Unfortunately, insulting people on Audiogon has become the norm.
I don't want to be disrespectful to anyone; however bo1972 please stop. Please! You repeat the same thing ad nauseam. I don't see how anyone can benefit from what you say.