Most satisfying system change in 2017?

What was your most satisfying addition or subtraction for your audio system this year?  Looking for changes in gear, set-up, or listening environment.  What floated your audio boat in 2017?
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing

Showing 3 responses by knownothing

Wow, great posts!  What prompted the OP was finally finding the right cartridge for my vintage Thorens TD 150mkII.  I installed just this week an Audio-Techinca AT 150Sa which is an evolution from the AT 150MLX no longer available. Right out of the box clearly better match than other similarly priced cartridges I have tried.  Can now play with B&W digital sub with zero or at least unnoticeable single digit Hz rumble.  45 rpm recordings were especially challenging before, not now.  New AT cartridge has excellent tracking and bass, ruler flat frequency response. According to only review I could find, this cartridge is supposed to have more fully fleshed out midrange compared with the 150MLX but reserving judgement on overall sound till broken in.  Grado in system previously was champ in that department, but rumble was awful.
Iwal22, can relate.  How did you solve potential cabinet issues?  Biggest challenge in my experience.  Pictures online somewhere?
Iwal22 - thanks.  Reason I ask about cabinets is because that is what makes or breaks home built (and commercialy built) speakers.  Great drivers and well-designed crossovers in a crappy box can sound worse than modest drivers and crossovers in really good box(es). Not wanting to hijack own thread, but this gets me going.

@shadorne yes, so far its Roon by a mile.