My 6922 Tubes Are Too Bright!

I recently bought a Canary CD-100 CD player.  I swapped out the ElectroHarmonix 6922 tubes for Amperex NOS made in Holland since I had read a review stating that the tubes it came with were too bright.  Unfortunately, it's still too bright for my tastes.  Does anyone have a 6922 they would recommend that's a bit warmer?
Thanks!
wbaggesen

Showing 1 response by adg101

How does your room sound in general? If you clap your hands together is there a loud ping behind it or does it sound natural? You just might need to work on your listening area, speaker and your seat placement. I recommend get your room and placement to sound it’s best before working on tweaks and cabling. 

Some quick ideas on CD players. Herbie tube dampers since you have tubes, upgrade the power cord if it’s a stock computer one, then the interconnects to maybe something on the warmer side. I never felt my current CD player was bright but one of the best improvements I did to my player was change out the fuses; really opened the player up and has a more relaxed presentation without losing anything. Sounds much closer to my analog rig that I find I play it far less now.

Try the clap test first; not a soft clap. If you don’t like how that sounds work on your room first until it the ping is gone or close to. Good to have a friend help you so one can clap in other areas of the room such as where your speakers are placed while you sit in your listening area, and do the same where you listen. Take your time, as it takes a lot of time. Once you think you have it then play with your speakers firing straight ahead into the room and then play with toeing them in if needed. 

Will help describing your room and associated equipment, cables, size of your room, speaker and sitting placement.