My 6922 Tubes Are Too Bright!

I recently bought a Canary CD-100 CD player.  I swapped out the ElectroHarmonix 6922 tubes for Amperex NOS made in Holland since I had read a review stating that the tubes it came with were too bright.  Unfortunately, it's still too bright for my tastes.  Does anyone have a 6922 they would recommend that's a bit warmer?
Thanks!
wbaggesen

Showing 2 responses by photon46

I've been experimenting with 6922 family tubes to tame some of the issues you are having. In my PS Audio BHK Stereo 250 amp, I've found Voskhod "Rocket" 6n23p tubes to be just the ticket. The Reflektor factory's tubes haven't appealed to me so much. I also liked the Voskhods very much in a Music Reference RM5III preamp I used to own. In my PS Audio BHK preamp, I greatly prefer Raytheon 7308's to brighter Amperex, Phillips, EH, & Siemens 6922s and 6DJ8s. The prevailing consensus among most audiophiles is that American and European 6DJ8, 6922s, etc. are the best but I find them to be a bit bright in many applications. As always, YMMV. What sounds good in one application isn't always the case in another. 
@ 25105 regarding Voskhod 6n23p tubes. As to their sound in the BHK250 - warm in the sense that the mid range seems to have slightly greater emphasis, lots of "air" around instruments, treble is detailed but definitely not etched, bass isn't fat or bloated. They allow a more relaxed perspective as if you moved back a couple rows in the audience. I've got several sets of 70's and early 80's Voskhods I accumulated in my many years of collecting gear and tubes. FWIW, I did order a couple more sets from an Ebay seller in the Ukraine because the desirable vintages aren't commonly found here in the USA.  I've not received them yet so I can't say what I think of the seller. 
https://www.ebay.com/usr/tubesandsound?_trksid=p2047675.l2559