New McIntosh MA252

Wondering if anyone has listened to the new MA252. I have an MA6500 pushing 200 watts into my SF Olympica llls which I think sound great. Question - would the tube preamp on the new MA252 add noticeable warmth, richness, sound stage presence? Thanks. 

128x128teboerio

Showing 1 response by admranger

The MA-252 is an intriguing option, no question. At $3500 it is tempting since I’ve been having issues finding an appropriately priced balanced preamp for my Merrill Audio Thor amps which power my inefficient but incredibly revealing ATC SCM 19v2’s.

For those that have used the MA-252, are the 100watts/ch the typical conservatively rated watts one hears about from McIntosh? I’m not against stepping down in watts as I rarely listen above 85-90dB as it isn’t townhouse neighbor friendly to do so. Rogue Audio’s RH-5 fits my price point to add in front of the Thor’s, so that’s the competition. I have a fair offer on the Thors, so the MA-252 is in the ballpark of affordability for me too.

Regardless of what I do, I think it’s a lovely integrated, one I think would have high WAF as well in even the most discerning of homes.