New Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo - Thoughts

Any Thought's on the "New" Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo

Any Rega owners / dealers / folks familiar with the table and/or brand have any thoughts / advise about this table / brand / combo? 

I am trying vinyl again... Tried it before without much luck. Table / cart / phono set up was too finicky for me and I wasn't able to get decent sound. I sold it all and am now giving it another try.

I also chose a Sutherland Duo phonostage to match with it.

Would love thoughts, advise, ideas or feedback. I have never owned a Rega product before. Going to set it up tonight but still waiting for my phonostage to be mailed to me. Would love some feedback. 

Thanks  

System info

Rega P8 Turntable / Apheta 2 Cart
Sutherland Duo Phonostage
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Linestage
Pass Labs X250.8 Amp
Magico S5 Speakers (MK II's on order)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack

Showing 4 responses by ct0517

@fsmithjack 

I'd like to try to help, especially since you have named a turntable that I use as a nominee. One I consider an end of the road turntable.

Couple questions

Does your music room sit on suspended wood beams?

Who was responsible for your turntable setup from where - the stand points touch the floor, through to setting up the turntable, toonearm, cartridge, wiring and loading into the phonostage ?

How many hands in the pot ?

fsmithjack
That is why I bought a Rega thinking even if it is not the greatest it is plug and play so I can’t screw up and get a baseline understanding of what it is.

Vinyl is not plug and play especially at the higher end - resolving systems. Also a lower perceived TT/Tonearm/Cart will out perform a higher perceived one that is not set up well.

Vinyl generates its signal through vibrations and resonances. Likewise vibrations and resonances in the room will affect the signal. It's a set up Game that takes knowledge of ones room and experience at the high end.

The Room plays a major factor. Hear me out as I asked you a question last time and you did not answer me. At least I did not see the reply back if you did. I can't explain the anomaly with the one LP. 

In looking at your Virtual system I notice the sloped ceilings that indicate your system is on a raised floor upstairs. Two levels up ? Suspended wood beams ?

In my personal experience All turntable rigs on suspended floors have challenges and constraints. The higher resolving gear more challenging. Everyone I know that has Vinyl upstairs has gone to great lengths to isolate the table better. If you are intent on keeping it upstairs and making it better - look at the shelf isolation.  

Now as you have said you sold everything, so  I would stick to digital. What good is a frustrating hobby?  If you are stubborn and want to make it right - hang a shelf on a load bearing wall in that room to start. Place your turntable on it. Try this with a very modest rig to see if works.
Good Luck

more clues

fsmithjack
I had the cart mounted by OEM and didn’t mess with it with fear of messing it up?

wlutke
It did take me 8 tries to align the Apheta 2.

8^0

IMO- its unfortunate you got rid of the gear so quick. You could have opened your phono stage and put the plug in for 47K. Run the cart full out no load.  

more clues

As far as my room 1/2 room is over garage and other half over my basement.

so which half was the TT on ?  

@fsmithjack 

fsmithjack
Do you think this set up has a chance?

If you answer these questions I will give you an opinion as an actual owner.

1) Will you set it up on the garage side or basement side ?

2) Are you willing to do the acoustic "dance" test before listening to the first record ?

3) Are you setting La Platine up with B & B ?

4)The TT has a learning curve. It is not plug and play. Are you willing to have patience with it ?

Yes or No is fine.      Just trying to help.