New speakers? No thanks.

Last week while chilling with my wife, listening to music, she turns to me and says,” you haven’t bought any new speakers in years.  You should take our tax return and get some”.  Did the planets just line up?  Or was it the two bottles of wine?   Who cares!?!

Ive been totally satisfied with my speakers,Vandersteen Quatros, but wasn’t gonna waste this opportunity to shop. So I hit up a couple of shops in Seattle.  I listened to the new Tannoy Cheviots and DC10a.  I tried some Devore Gibbons.  Listened to Martin Logan’s, Sonus, Living Voice, and Usher.   

None of these sung to me like my old Vandies. As a matter of fact, it wasn’t close. While they all had their attributes, none checked all the boxes.   I know it’s system and room dependent, but you can get a decent idea in showrooms.   

I think I’ll just save my pennies, and try to get my wife wasted enough someday to get some new Quatro CTs.  
bigboltz

Showing 11 responses by tomic601

wander at your peril....no torture...I promise....but you might consider the pair of 5a Carbon at Sunnys in Covina....

my pro bono audio business is called Vintage Crack Audio - like any good drug dealer - the first hit is free !!!!

when does the ice and snow go away ? I am South of the airport

@bigboltz stop by with or without the wine ( I might keep some around...ha ) and listen to the 7’s .....

I am a fanboy, your Quattro are amazing....

PM me and we will have fun

Jim
but for fun and “icepick” avoidance, she can listen to the ESL-63, Apogee Stage on custom sound anchors or the tricked out Cornwalls.......no one trick Pony here

i may even have the Thiel 2.3 running by then, who knows...?

why drink the same wine every nite ?
The short answer confirmation bias is being open to information that confirms our own beliefs- about sound, wine, cars, politics, even science

one reason why the frequent touchstone of Live unamplified Music need be a persistent reference

and another reason why I own speakers with widely divergent design principles...
A good example of confirmation bias writ large was a guy I sold a stereo system in 1980
he had grown up obsessed with LED Zeppelin and played it constantly on his all in one white plastic GE stereo - you know the one....
anyway he saved to buy an NAD amp, Denon TT and ADS 710

he returned at after a week saying it didn’t sound like Zeppelin..., his own personal private Led Zep....
 @bigkidz A DHt DAC done well must be a thing of wonder :-) 

My ref system viewable in the virtual systems part of audiogon
search Poverty Bay and I think you will find it.

enjoy the music and the tax returns and the wine everyone !!!!
I think the Treo CT with 2 x Sube 3 at about 15K vs the Quattro CT at same $ comes down to room placement options. Obviously the footprint of the former system is much larger than a pair of Quattro, but the Q is deeper and should be located more into the room as Treo was purpose designed for closer to wall environment..and the Treo is ported, so that is a small consideration as well.

but what fun !!!!!

i am spinning the newly released butbrecorded 1980 Linda Ronstadt- Live thru the TREO CT today, lovely.....

you can view that system by searching casa pacifica

great music Sunday all !!!!!!

Jim
 @rx8man thanks for link, that worked, I posted a question there so as not to hijack this thread.....lovely stuff those DHT 
@headphonedreams... yes Vandyuncommon in Europe. Helmut Brinkmann has a pair of 7’s normally demonstrated at rhe Munich show. On my list to attend that one for sure...I think it is most probably the best HiFi show on planet..

anyway, yes the big MBL properly driven for sure is a world class speaker, apples and salmon to the Vandersteen sound/ approach but yes in a big big room pretty incredible...some but not all Vandersteen models have a rear firing tweeter, 100% distortion, but can give some of the same effect.....it is switchable....

have fun, music is the key!!!!!